The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. . I was told that I needed to take a 24 hour urine test to check for the protein levels.. I just picked up my results this afternoon.. I began the test at 10am and then ended one hour prior due to an emrgancy trip that I needed to take.. so technically my test was a 23 hour test..
These are my results:

Total Volume 1700
UR TP 0-12 mg/dl My result was 12
Total Protein 24 hr 50-150 mg/24hr My results were 205

What does this mean??? I was told that a copy was being sent to my rheumologist this afternoon....

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I am afraid that I can't help as I am not a Dr nor an expert at test results. Every lab reports differntly...but I have kidney involvement and my Total Protein 24 hr run between 880 and 1500.

Anything over normal requires watching, however at this time, I myself would not worry excessively.

I hope this helps releive you of some worries, however it is always best to consult directly with your Dr and if you are seriously worried, ask for a referrral to a nephrologist.

Don't make yourself crazy - Stephanie

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, so even though mine is higher then normal, I would assume looking at how high your levels are, that I am in the clear : )

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
My understanding is that the 24 hour urine test needs to include the first catch on day one when you get up in the morning and the last on day 2 when you get up in the morning whether that is an hour or so earlier or later than the day before or not, as well of course as all urine passed in between. The results aren't accurate if any are missed. I always need a pee about 5 hours after going to bed about 5 am and then again when I get up at 7, 8, 9, or even 10 am. I either count the 5 am as the first or the next one as the first and include the same rough time next day as the second ' first' of that day. :hehe:

Only your doctor can interpret your test results because most likely various symptoms need to be taken into account and possibly further tests ordered. Your results appear to be only slightly higher than the labs reference range. A number of factors can influence results - some NSAIDs dehydration or low fluid intake exercise and even some foods.

I advise against getting test results before your doctor until you are a very experienced, knowledgable and unflappable patient. I have often seen enormous nervous energy if not high anxiety levels caused by drawing the wrong conclusions. Usually if there is any abnormality a test will be repeated soon. In might only be a dipstick or it could be the PCR test which has has replaced the 24 hours urine test in many places. PCR stands for Protein Creatine Ratio.

The main thing is that your doctor is keeping an eye on it.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Never Assume anything with lupus....just speak with your Dr.

My numbers may seem higher, but my lab may use a different scale.

Don't go crazy just call the Dr and get the medical take on things.

Stephanie

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.. I was asked to pick up my test results and well I "opened" them to check out of curiousity!!!:hehe: I am one who likes to wait for my results from my doctors however I could not resist considering the issues I have had and for how long.. which are 2+ protein in my urine on a few occasions with in the last year.. I have some mild scarring of my kidney, swollen spleen and I have been urinating more then a pregnant woman at night for months.. and I have swelling on my hands and feet for about a month now.. all to be told they could not figure out why.. as I had no growth in my cultures and my bladder looks good.. the mild scarring showed up but it was never looked into since at that time I only had an obgyn.. The doc is calling me in the morning.. so I will just act like I do not know those results and wait to hear what he has to say based on his knowledge of the illness and of my chart.. THANKS again ladies.. I appreciate you all.. always AND also I wanted to add that for ten years I had no family doctor just used the ER and now I have three, its difficult going from none to more then one! LOL

·
Registered
642 Posts
My understanding has always been that the first wee of the day is discarded and the collection timed from then.
The following day the urine passed at the same time is included and the collection is then complete.
Did I misunderstand or did you say differently Claire?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I think you are right BigSis and that's what I thought when I started writing but it looks like I misread when I decided to check it out and broke my rule of never posting after 10 pm. :rolleyes: So to sum up:
Miss the first void of day 1. Thanks for the correction ! Vacancy here for a "minder", methinks

:)
Clare

·
11,409 Posts
Yes you are right Clare.:)

I did 2 of those catches last year.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me again. I was told to come back again on October 1st.. he said I started the 24hr test correctly (voiding the first mornign urine and collecting the next mornings first urine and any urine after until I hit 24hrs) however I did not complete the entire 24 hr as I stated earlier I had a bit of a fam emergancy.. he would like for me to repeat the 24 hr test in September.. He did some more blood work on me prior to putting me on the pred and plaq and those blood test results were all normal.. which threw me completely off since I was in such a horrible flare up at the time... :eek: but he said that it does not always match up... blood test and actual flares.. He also said my protein, while higher then normal was not in a range he considers to be of immediate concern but he would still like to look into things since I have positive protein as well as mild kidney scarring and frequent urination at night..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts