The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.

I have Avascular Necrosis on my hips for six years and is becoming increasiningly hard to cope. I am 30 and doctors always tell me postpone the hip replacement surgery as much as I can, but I dont know if I will be able to delay it for a long time.

If anyone here had a hip replacement, I really would like to know how was this experience, how long it took to recover and how was it.

Also, if anyone had the surgery at Guy's Hospital, I would be especially interested because I might end up doing the operation there as well.

Thanks in advance and best wishes,
Laura

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had 2

Hi Laura,:)
I have had both of my hips replaced 6 weeks apart due to AVN. The first one was in June of 2003 and then August 2003. I was told to hold off as long as I could as well, until I could no longer walk. I was 32 at the time and I have had SLE for 22 years now. My ortho doc agreed that my disability was totally affecting my quality of life and warned that I may have to have them replaced again at a later date. I can tell you now, that I am so grateful that he could do the surgery for me. It was at the North Carolina Specialty Hospital in Durhan, NC. My doctor was awesome and my rehab went very well. I was driving 4 weeks after the first one and the second went better with the physical therapy because I knew what to expect. I have now been employed for 4.5 years and my quality of life has improved greatly. I still have flares and Fibro, but I am so thankful to be working and in control of my life again. Really discuss it with your dr and also get a second opinion if you need to. I hope this info helps and if you need mor info or a few questions answered, I will try to help. Big hugs to you!!!
Jules

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jules :)

Thanks a lot for your message. It is really helpful to hear from people who have already had the hip replacement and I am very happy to hear your successful story. I have a few questions though and would appreciate if you could answer them:

- How lond does your phrostesis are supposed to last?
- Can you do any movements, like sitting on the ground, crossing your legs and attend a regular yoga class?
- Which kind of physical therapy have you done? I have been into lots of different kinds...
- Can you cycle?

Thanks a lot for your help and all the best.

Big hugs from UK,
Laura

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello again!

:) To answer a few of your questions, you can really do anything, but they don't recommend certain positions as you may end up with a dislocation. My prosthesis are Titanium with a hard silicone cup for the ball to go into and they should last 15 years or more depending on the wear and tear factor. I walk endlessly, ride my bike, shoot hoops with my kids, and any activity I feel like. I loved to rollerblade, but the risk of a fall is too great for me. I have AVN in the lower femur now and it is risky for me to do some things. The physical therapy starts with range of motion and bed exercises that build quickly to the strength exercises. I can sit cross legged, but they don't recommend certain things. You can do yoga, but there are certain positions that may be excluded from your workout(due to hyper or over extension). It will really depend on your strength training. The more your muscles build in strength around the implants, the better movement you have. I have great ROM, however I have lifted heavy things and not standing properly, I have had one of them slide in and out in a matter of seconds. No pain, but a little scary. My dr encouraged me to live my life to the fullest with full activity as tolerated. When I feel a little weakness in my abductor muscles, I go back to the original PT exercises from the beginning. There isn't really anything you can't do, just sometimes you have to change the way you do it. My physical therapist was wonderful and said I would learn my limitations and I have. I used to be a gymnast and that stuff I can't do, but I love to swim and enjoy any activity that my SLE and Fibro allow. My best advice: know yur body, mind the PT rules and follow them and you will learn to trust the implant. Oh, by the way, they didn't cement mine and let the bone graft around it in my femur for further stability.
Jules

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jules.

Again, your message were very helpful and inspiring! I loved to know that you can cycle and that your recovery went very well. I am taking a MA course this year and should finish it on October and I am considering doing the surgery after that. Even though the doctors tell me that it is better to delay the operation because I am young, it is really limiting my life as I am in constant pain when I walk.
And about knowing our limits and our bodies, I guess it is part of being a Lupus patient, no matter if you have AVN or not! :)

Many thanks and have a great weekend,
Laura

1 - 5 of 5 Posts