The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

I was just told i had a 3rd positive ANA test and this time i also had a positive histone antibody , DR is doubting its drug induced lupus because of the medicine i am on is not know to induce it. He wants to do a lumbar puncture to run tests from spinal fluid.
Anyone ever have done to help the diagnosis process?

I have tested positive for ana,anca,histone, aps over past 6 months at various times

Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi,

I have not had that myself. However a friend had a lumbar puncture to collect sample cerebral spinal fluid and i'm sorry to say that he said it was quite painful.

However, hopefully it will give some answers

Kind regards
Mark

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the site. I have had a lumbar puncture and I didn't find it painful. They numb the area with a local aneasthetic first, so you don't feel the prodecure. You have to lie flat after and drink plenty of fluids so you don't get a headache. I didn't have any problems.

I hope it helps to clarify things for you.

·
Administrator
10,183 Posts
A lumbar puncture can be a way to get a diagnosis. It can also rule in or out other possibilities. Doing some research before mine I found caffeine the day before and after also helped keep any headache at bay. I had neither pain or a headache with mine, just a good case of nerves beforehand.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts