The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I havnt posted anything lately but I know just browsing on this site ofen answers any niggles that might be at the back of my mind. My son thinks it oddto be reading and writing to people I have never met (that coming from someone always on face book or whatever)!! But I tell him we all have a lot in common and that your all a wonderful supportive bunch.
I wonder if I could ask- how to keep cool in hot places?
My family are off for a trip of a lifetime in August, we are going to California to visit family then off to do the sites- Los Angeles The Grande Canyon and finishing up with a few days in San Fracisco! The boys 16 and 17yrs are thrilled but although i am looking forward to it I am a bit worried re the Sun and Heat.
My problem is uctd with mild Sjogrens wich touch wood is pretty good at present But I have never liked \sunbathing as my skin is so painful if I do and i am a bit on the 'cuddly'side so feel the heat. Do any of you who have to live in hot conditions rather than our cooler temps in UK have any tips - is it best to cover up or slap on the factor 50 etc.
Sorry for the long letter any sugestions gratefully received.
Keep well
Sue

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Sue, I hate heat and sun exposure these days. Either one makes me ill and the two together just knock me out. I would really advise you to find ways to stay out of the sun, especially in the middle of the day. Could you set up a tent or shade type thing at the beach or at your campsite?

Also, check some of the companies that make sun protective clothing. Coolibar is the one I like the best .... can't remember the names of the others. The clothing is lightweight, usually pretty well ventilated and has sun protection built right in. And yes, do slather on the sun screen, even under your clothes. Hats, long sleeves, shades on your eyes...... The beach and anyplace in Arizona are both going to have huge sun exposure, including reflected off the ground. So make a deal with the family that you get to veg in the hotel room with a good book or craft you enjoy (or just catch up on your naps!) while they go bake in the sun.

Take care,
Sunny

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I would agree with Sunny on that sun protective clothing. I was amazed at how cool it makes me feel compared to any other type of shirt that I cover up with. So, although quite pricey, well worth it if you need to be out in the sun. Of course, here in Belgium, we only ever have to deal with 30 - 34°C. And, for those in the states, coolibar does really have the best collection that I have found so far (the problem for us over here in Europe is that the duty on it makes it very very expensive).

Katharine

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Squeaky,

I look to the clothing customs of the people of the middle east for sun protection - arabic style long loose layers that cover completely but still allow for air to circulate. After all the heat there is probably the highest anywhere in the world. Also I just like the exotic fashion:wink2:

Black provides the best UV protection, but white absorbs the least heat, so I experiment with both - a black underlayer with a white top layer to reflect the heat.

Don't forget your head and face and eyes - a broad brimmed hat, long wrap around scarf or shawl and good quality sunglasses with uvA and uvB protection.

And your first layer of protection should be a generous layer of factor 50+ sunscreen lotion.

I even went swimming dressed like this, and although one woman asked me why (and got a mini lecture on lupus!), I survived the sunny mid west Australian sun during our last holiday.8)8)8)

Enjoy yourself,

X C X

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Hi Squeaky,

The others have given you great advice. I just wanted to add that even during summer it can be quite chilly in San Francisco with the fog. Many travelers come unprepared and are too cold to stay out and enjoy the sites. That said, this has been a summer of heat waves so it could end up hot also.

Have a wonderful trip.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sunny, Katherine, Cath and Lazylegs,
That gives me something to think about. :)Cath you made me smile at the thought of you going swimming in your hat etc, sounds good advice though.
Lazylegs I am pleased you mentioned that San. Francisco can be cool as i have been trying to convince my family that it might be wise to pack a thin jacket in case of cool times, my boys thought it was just me being boring and 'mumsy'!:rolleyes:
Well just 17 days to go now - cant wait.
I hope you all have a restful holiday to look forward to and stay well.
best wishes
Sue

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Sue,

I live in Texas and am sun sensitive but have found that SPF 30 sunscreen plus common sense about being in the sun (ie, avoiding 10 am to 4pm sun if at all possible, avoiding sleeveless shirts and shorts - I do wear short sleeves and capri/cropped pants, sandles with lots of sunscreen, wide-brimmed hats etc) works pretty well for me. If I am outside during midday I try to stay in the shade as much as possible and also keep well hydrated. I do put sunscreen on all over as UV rays can penetrate tee shirts and other light weight fabrics. Also, I would suggest having a plan on how you will get out of the sun if you start feeling bad so you don't get in a bad situation with no way out (ie check out where visitor/main office is located at the attractions you are going to, or a nearby restaurant etc...).

I hope you have a wonderful vacation and enjoy yourself!

Nancy

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi,

I went to Mexico a couple of years ago and recently got back from Spain (30+ degrees) and found that using a really good sunblock (Boots Soltan is a good one) and sitting in the shade as much as possible meant I could enjoy my holiday without feeling ill.

If you can get to a House Of Fraser, they have some pretty summer umbrellas (think Little Britain 'I'm a lady, don't you know'!) which might be a nice alternative to a hat?

Amanda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts