The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is the awful low back pain part of all this? Today I can't sit, I can't stand. Laying is OK as long as I don't move. The pain seems to go into my pelvic area. It almost feels like a pinched nerve possibly. All I know is that if this pain is the same tomorrow, work is going to be all but impossible.

I've had the low back pain for well over a month now. I do see a chiropractor for other back issues and I go again on Tuesday. Only 2 more days.......... It's never been this bad before though. I've never had pain like this before. It started after my hysterectomy, but went away after a couple chiropractor visits, so I figured it was from table placement during the surgery.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Jen,

That back pain sounds awful :hugbetter: It's possible to get back pain with Fibro and also with connective tissue diseases. However as you can imagine there can be many many other reasons to get it also, it's not one of our common complaints. There are people here who have back problems though seperate to their other ailments and it's probably made worse by the fact they have Lupus.

Is it possible for you to go and see your GP prior to seeing the chiropractor? I think I would want some kind of checkup/investigations before proceeding with any manipulation?

I hope it improves for you soon, do you have any meds you usually take that might help? Anti-inflamms for example?

love
Lily

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Jen,
I have the very same thing. It his me a year ago and I was laid up like that for 3 months. I still have pain on being in one position too long. They did an mri and said I have a compression fracture. The odd thing is, my bone density is fine. Sounds like you may have the same. Mine hurt to my pelvic too. See your GP and get an x-ray. Mine was diagnosed by xray and confirmed by mri.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes, a compression fracture? That sounds like no fun. I don't think I can get into my GP before the chiro, but I will definately mention it to the chiro. She is very good with me -- I made sure to go to a woman because I had to go due to hysterectomy, so she is very gentle.

This morning brought on a new symptom -- I nearly passed out or threw up (not exactly sure which would have come first) in the shower. I immediately got down on my knees and put my head down and the dizziness/nausea passed. I'm still feeling a bit light-headed, but I think I'll be OK to go to work. I see now that after sitting for about 5 minutes, that my back pain did not go away through the night like I had hoped. The Aleve will be coming to work with me today! Not that it did much good yesterday..............and that was prescription strength. Ended up taking a vicodin last night due to the pain.

I had some lab work that I looked up online for what the cause may be and I was brought to multiple myeloma many times (yeah, scary isn't it?) and they said that compression fractures of the low spine were common. That is pretty scary now!!! But I was also brought to lupus over and over again, so..........

I'll make sure to mention the possibility of a compression fracture to the chiro too.

·
Brenda
371 Posts
The words compression fracture sound worse than they are. Not much to do for it other than pain meds and rest. I, too, had a nearly passing out episode in the shower. And when the shower hit me in that spot on my back WOW!!! I crawled back in bed! I hope for you it is a CF, it's much less serious (though still quite painful) than most other things. The big signs that something is going wrong and call the dr immediatly though are unable to hold your bowel or bladder and numbness in the legs. In that case don't wait!
Brenda

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That lower back pain was one of my presenting symptoms. The pain is paralyzing When it hits. Painkillers and an anti-spaz work for me. I really hate this disease.
Douglas+

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi scapperjen, hi everyone : )
jen, i had a hysteromy 2 years ago, just a thing to think about but you said your back pain started after that...i suffered terrible lower back pain after my opp, ran down my leg and into my hip, i wasn't dx at the time with lupus, so they told me it was down to how they move you around whilst doing the opp.. it didn't go away for a while... but had my dx recently for lupus so i must admit not to sure what caused it...i do still suffer from chronic back pain..my doc seems to believe that it was my opp that brought on a flare..maybe lupus and hysteromy just don't go together (whats new not much does from what im finding out:lol: ) just a thought...
hope you find some relieve anyway you can....:)

take care

·
Registered
32 Posts
Low Back Pain--CONSTANT!!!!

Hi ScrapperJen (I love your name):

I too have that (currently). It was one of my presenting symptoms, and has remained with me for approx. 3 mos. now (ongoing). It eased up for a while, but came in strong on yesterday.

I am starting to take notice of certain foods that may cause a flare (however minute). I had Doritos on yesterday (I know, not a healthy choice, but every now and again I ignore the nutrition label and just go for it); well as you know Doritos have food colorings (dyes) in them, which I usually try desperately to avoid (this is why I read the label, in addition to fat, sodium, etc...). Well, after eating them I noticed that my muscle pain and back pain had gotten stronger. Consequentially, this morning I woke feeling like I had been hit by a truck. My headache, which I had everyday for approx. 2 mos., had left for a week, but this morning it came in full strength.

One of the meds that I have for Anxiety, Depression d/n suggest taking NSAIDs, which will interfere with its effect, amongst other things. So today I am just "dealing with it," unfortunately. I callked my Rheumie and told him the situation, and asked if he could suggest a pain med for me, and he did. I can't remember what it was, but I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Although I need it desperately right now, one of my docs told me that Walmart and Target offers meds for $4. bucks!!! I thought it was too good to be true until I went last week and what should have cost me 35 dollars (2 separate meds), only cost me $8.00!!! The only problem is that the closest Walmart is bit of a distance, and I am not up for the drive (besides it's rush hour now--no thank you)!.

So, yes, your not alone. Also, check out the nearest WALMART or TARGET--just make sure that they have a pharmacy (it's usually the larger stores that do).

Feel better!:worried:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi.......how strange...:(.....i have a bad back...it feels like i have a knife stabbed into at times!!!..at the base bit....i have to use a stick to get upright if i sit as i have no support to get up!!...then it will go and i dont get it for a few months....i dont have to "do" anything to get it to do it........i can be just standing or sitting......perhaps its a nerve? getting trapped.........hope your well soon...jane

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, this seems quite common:) Good to know I'm not alone and I guess it's good to know that it could be from my health. I will definately make sure to mention it to the doc tomorrow. Just in case he can't see me writhing in pain:wink2:

I went to the chiro yesterday and she said my muscles on my left side and glute area were really tight and they could be pulling my tail bone, which would cause me pain. She worked her magic on me and then had someone do percussion therapy (kind of a vibrating massager thing) on me especially in that area. For 5 minutes after the appt. I thought I was rid of the pain. Halfway home, it hit again. This morning it is awful! It was even hurting in bed and it didn't do that before. :( It's gonna be a lllooonnnggg day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That constant nagging...

Hi everyone:

Re: the back pain. Do you every get a break from the pain (w/o meds), or is it constant? Mine is always constant, except when I am having stronger pains elsewhere in my body, I guess it sort of overrides my backpain, and I don't notice it as much.

I hope everyone is feeling atleast a bit better than yesterday, if not more. Have a great day everyone!

·
Administrator
10,196 Posts
When the pain is to the point you are going to pass out it is time for your doctor to know about it. I may ruffle a few feathers here, but I mean not a Chiropractor. Something this bad needs to be investigated. You could be setting yourself up for long term damage if it is not treated properly.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No ruffled feathers here:) though I guess I do need to clarify. It wasn't the pain that made me feel as though I was going to pass out -- at that point, I didn't have much pain because I was standing. I just got light-headed and nauseous in the shower. It's happened before, but not for a very long time and not really that bad. It was probably my body saying, "I don't want to be up and awake, I want to go back to sleep". It could have been a Vicodin hangover, I'm not sure.

I do go to the doc today though. 10:15 this morning. Today is the day. Today is the day I get my diagnosis in person. I know it won't be lupus, but at least it will be SOMETHING! He already told me on the phone that it's UCTD, adn from what I read here, it's pretty much the same thing. I also have fibromyalgia and he will be told that the cyclobenzaprine is NOT helping it. I'm a bit confused about one thing though, and I'll be asking him about it -- I've read that UCTD rarely has organ involvement. I have fluid around my heart, both lungs, in my abdomen, there's something autoimmune going on with my intestines, and my kidneys have something going on with them. Looking forward to answers today!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My rheumy told me that it was myofascial pain and put me on Neurontin for the fibro, but told me it would help with the back pain. I sure hope so........

Oh, by the way -- it's official now. I have UCTD. I posted in the Newly Diagnosed area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is a good question!:lol: This is what I found doing a search on the web:

http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_pain/article.htm

Myofascial pain is a chronic condition that affects the fascia (connective tissue that covers the muscles). Myofascial pain syndrome may involve either a single muscle or a muscle group. In some cases, the area where a person experiences the pain may not be where the myofascial pain generator is located. Experts believe that the actual site of the injury or the strain prompts the development of a trigger point that, in turn, causes pain in other areas. This situation is known as referred pain.
Not exacly sure if this is correct or not, but I have to admit that the neurontin worked wonders last night! Of course, it's worn off by now and it hurts again, but maybe a little less?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts