The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, thats where I have been...in the hospital for the last four days. Many of you might remember that I posted a picture of my swollen neck on the boards a few weeks back.

Well, GP didn't know what to do with me, Rhuemy perscribed Pred but it did nothing! I followed up with rhuemy two weeks later after the thing got really big and red and hard and inflammed....he sent me immediately to his friend the ENT. who very promply dx it as a "plunging Ranola". And an infected one to boot. My mouth and tongue and thoat had already started to swell, and he told me that it was a "life threatening" situation!!! Freaked me out!!

So ENT aspirated the thing, took out 10 cc's of liquid and sent me to the infusion center for IV antibiotics, he said that I should do that and take oral antibiotics and I should be fine. Well, by the next morning I was in severe pain and vomiting everything up. Coincedentally, doc called me right around that time and I told him that i wasn't doing very well and he said come right in to my office (this being saturday mind you) and I will admit you from here.

So, off I went and now, four days later I am back home and in a great deal of pain but the swelling has gone down some. Oh and along the way, because my viens are so bad, I had a "pic" line put in to my arm...oh so attractive!! NOT!!!

Well being that this ENT doc had only seen two of these situations in his very extensive career he referred me to a clinic in boston. i have an appt with them next week and surgery the following week to remove the thing.

The bad thing about this whole ordeal is that I have to stop taking my immunesuppresents until it gets cleared up, which means after surgery and 10 days post-op. I am so nervous that my symptoms are going to come rushing back from the SLE and Sclero. I am already feeling my muscles weaken and knees are starting to hurt. I just hope there is enough pain killers avail to get me through!!!

Thanks for reading.....hugs to all!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
hi coastie wife

gosh so sorry youve had such a bad time. Guess its scary being taken off your drugs. Surley they can give you something else to cover you while you r off them

(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

dixy

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I remember looking at your picture, showing my husband and telling him I was afraid for you due to how bad it looked.

I am so sorry you had to deal with this and now that your home I hope you can get some rest and feel better soon.

Gosh you have been through a lot...........I am sorry.:wink2:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oooh wow, that sounds very bad, painful and very frightening. It's a good job your docs reacted quickly and reassuring when they have the sense to refer elsewhere.

Just in case anyone doesn't know what a plunging ranula is (I didn't), I found this extract (there aren't many in plain speak on the web)

A plunging ranula is a cyst containing extravasated saliva originating from the sublingual gland. It presents as a swelling in the submandibular region of the neck, often without any abnormality in the oral cavity. Excision of the sublingual gland without neck dissection usually is curative.
taken from http://www.springerlink.com/content/k5304m2t5872l71r/

I hope all goes well with the referral and wish you speedy recovery :hug:

Katharine

·
Registered
152 Posts
:eek:

To be fair, it was really really ugly! Bet you're glad you had it looked at!! It looked hideously painful.

Sorry it's caused you so much trouble, but I'm glad it's getting taken care of!

Hope you feel better soon!
-Elizabeth

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Good luck with your surgery :hug: I hope you recover quickly so you can get back on your medication after the 10 day waiting period. Let us know how it all turns out.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
11,410 Posts
Oh wow that sounds so painful.:eek:

It is great that the ENT had the smarts to refer you on to someone else that knew more.:)

I think chocolate covered pain pills are in order.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love choc covered pain pills!!! :rotfl:

Elizebeth, it was and still is pretty ugly, I feel like a frog!!!

I am working from home today because my pic line started to really hurt and the doc said I was doing too much with that arm. DUH they put it in the right arm, I am right handed, what does he expect.

Katherine - thanks for the research, I understand there are only 100 known cases of this type of cyst know to have been in the usa, so no matter where I go, I will not find an expert. But the clinic in Boston is well known and has an excellent rep, so I should do fine.

I will keep you all informed.

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
(((Shel))))

you are home... been thinking about you. Try to rest this weekend. shoot me an email if you feel up it.

Love and all that mushy stuff!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Coastie,

Hope you are feeling better and the antibotics are helping! Let us know how the appointment goes with the appointment and surgery!

My eldest son (only age 10) has had same thing disgnosed only this morning! Prescribed antibiotics, nsaids and antihistamine and due to have a scan in a weeks time to see what needs to be done surgically!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Just wanted to wish you well with the excision :hugbetter: I too was concerned for you and I'm sorry it's all turned into such a painful drama for you :( My daughter had a 'normal' ranula and that was alarming enough, but this one of yours was very concerning. At least they know what's going on now and you have a plan to operate. Good luck we will be thinking of you.

love
Lily

·
Janet
32 Posts
Im so sorry to hear about all your pain. I sure hope this passes really fast for you.
Actually, i plan on reading on this type of cyst and the actual location here soon. i have swelling in my neck area and my doc said that it's fatty tissue since i gained so much weight during this last steroid increase for my kidneys. HHMMM...maybe...maybe not?? Still, ive had a couple of missed dx and will not take my chances on this one. For ex, i had a Thymoma tumor right next to my heart and a doc thought it was my enlarged heart! Needless to say, he retired a month after i YELLED at the OWNER of the clinic. The tumor was removed back in 2004!
So thanks for the info and again, i wish you a speeding removal and recovery!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.