The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-
Is it normal to have days where the symptoms can wax and wane from hour to hour? I understand that days can be very different, but what about within the day?

Thanks
Cindy

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Cindy,

I am new to Lupus and I am sure others with more experience will come along but I can tell you that there are days I wake up and feel horrible, 3 hours later I can set the world on fire and by 2pm I feel like I have been hit by a train.

I would say Yes, things can wax and wane..............at least for me they do.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Cindy,

Nice to meet you!

I think it is very possible for symtom intensity to vary during each day, and probably common. Certainly I experience it this way especially on the relatively good days.

Joint pain varies a lot - typically worse first thing in the morning and then in the evening again. Also it is very common to be relatively pain free at rest but to experience pain when you move the joint or put pressure on it.

The malar rash also varies during the day. For me it is always glowing first thing in the morning and during the day subsides a lot unless i go outside.

If you are testing your urine and have very mild proteinuria in the morning (1st pee of the day is the most concentrated usually), you will probably have a negative reading if you retest later in the day. This is because low levels of protein don't show up on the test strips if the urine is dilute.

There must be lots of oter symptoms that vary too - faigue or nausea for example.

What symptoms are bothering you most at the moment?

X C X

·
Inky
249 Posts
HI Cindy

Yes my lupus varies within a day. Woke up with blinding headache and terrible joint pain. Took me ages to get going. At lunchtime you would have had little idea I was ill.

I have been experimenting with 45 minutes doing something then 15 minutes complete rest today. Sometimes when I lay down I felt truly awful, other times I felt OK. At one point when I was sewing I had to stop I felt so nauseous and tired. Another time later in the day I felt ok when sewing. Headache has gone from blinding to moderate, joint pain has eased but muscles hurt.

I think a lot depends on what i do in a day. If I have a complete rest day I don't go up and down so much, if I am working then my symptoms go up and down.

Sara
x

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Yes yes and yes.

Minute to minute actually too. Some days are different, but if I think about it, I could say yes, hour to hour different symptoms.

But I try really not to think that way and not to pay attention to a lot of the symptoms now. I try to ignore and go on with my day and I guess that is my way of dealing with it and not dwelling too much on it. If I think about it, I get nervous, anxious, worried and that leads to more pain and symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts