TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My feet are literally killing me. They're really red and inflamed, my toes are quite puffy, and I've got sharp pain in some of my joints. I just can't get comfortable. Literally any pair of shoes I wear hurt my feet, and they're so hot. At home I can stick them in cool water, at work I've been using a cooling foot spray, but today I've brought some flip flops into work to change into because my feet are so hot and sore. I can't stand wearing shoes as they make me feet so hot.

I bought some new sandals but they've given me such bad blisters (so painful it's taken my mind of my joint pain :lol: ). What can I do? I used to be a high heel gal, now I'm in pain if I wear ballet pumps. I work in an office so I need to be reasonably smart, I can't turn up to a meeting in flip flops. Just don't know what to do really.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again Ali,

I'm afraid I don't have any very useful suggestions for you. Painful feet are a major problem for me. I haven't been able to wear "elegant" shoes for years but now, due to neuropathy and Achilles "attachment" problems, I can sometimes only wear crocs and at best good trainers. Before things got to the neuropathy stage I also used to get very hot swollen feet but that has improved - maybe because I don't use them much any more :lol:

The only thing I can say is that more comfortable shoes do exist but they tend to be pretty pricey. Also, sometimes we can get away with less elegance depending on what is worn over the top. I'll be going to my brothers wedding in crocs but I have long flowing trousers that will hide them most of the time and in any case I'm kind of past caring.

Katharine

·
Registered
416 Posts
The only shoes I have been able to wear for years are Danskos, Birkenstocks and Brooks; I also had to use specially made orthotics for a while. Most of my foot problems have cleared up but I still wear those brands because they are so comfortable and they helped my feet so much. I was going to have to have surgery if the shoes and orthotics didn't help.

Barb

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got some birkenstocks but I'm finding them too firm. Crying as my feet are so painful. Just can't bear the pain anymore.

·
Registered
467 Posts
:wavesmile:hi ali

while i was still working in an office i worn little black satin slippers, kinda like ballet slippers. i also kept a pair of nice shoes for when i needed them.

i'm a shoe freak, i always wore in 4inch heels i probaby could pay a years mortgage payments with what i've spent on shoes. now i walk around in penquine slippers :p

hugs and kisses

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aw spellbinder - you sound so like me! I used to buy my shoes from net-a-porter and selfridges, it's so depressing. I've been wearing some black leather ballet shoes to work and my feet are just on fire, but they're quite a thick heavy leather. I've just ordered some flat sandal mules from Next (I find some of their sole reviver stuff quite good), I might treat myself to some new lighter ballet pumps from French Sole. Flipping stupid feet.

A colleague at work gets orthotics made so she's giving me the contact details of her chap so I can get some made. Her shoes were really nice, I wouldn't have thought they were orthotics if she hadn't told me. I think the shoes came with removable insoles and you just put your insole inside them.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I have found that a good foot massage with some foot cream is a good way to ease the foot pain. It does not have to be exspensive, I go to the dollar tree in town and get some cream for my feet. I was also luck to get a foot massager for christmas and it is great after a day of work.

I have went to wearing the crock shoes to work so I can kick off my shoes at my desk. They are also nice because there is room for swelling in them. You might want to check into a cheap pair to see if they work for you.

I also sleep with a pillow between my legs so that they can be up a little when I am sleeping. It helps with swelling and some of the pain in your feet, legs, and ankles. I hope that some of this might help you, I know it can be painful when your feel and legs hurt. I am hoping that you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Ali :wavey:

Have you considered trying one of these foot spa's that you can buy. I used to use one when i was working as i have psoriatic arthritis in my feet and it worked quite well plus its a great feeling just to sit there whilst you use it, unfortunately now i can't use foot spa's as they don't recommend them if you have had blood clots (DVT's) which i have had.

Just a few suggestions to try and help you, whilst you are sat at your desk can you slip your shoes off to give your feet a rest, also when you are sat at home try and elevate your feet to help with the swelling, whilst you are in bed try elevating your feet with a pillow or you can get proper foot cushions that slope like a wedge. Plus if you have someone who is willing get them to gently massage your feet, if that doesn't help it still feels good :p. Whilst you are in your office can you put on a pair of slippers or something as comfy, i understand that when you have meetings that can't be done but you can buy slippers now that look like shoes.

Have you spoken to your doctor regarding your feet as they may be able to give you something to help with the burning and pain.

Good luck :luck: and take care :hug: Jo :hug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts