TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there...I need help:help: I was wondering if anyone has any insight to blood clotting and symptoms? I have been having a pain in my right calf and I noticed a bruise on my front of calf thats been there a while and doesn't hurt or seem to be fading. I know I have a pronounced vein in the calf but I don't think its a varicous vein. It is a little puffy not too much, then the other day on the same side of my body I have a little bruise on a pronounced vein on the inside of my lower arm, it was a little raised and seems to be fading a little, I have been reading in some of my books about blood clots being related to symptoms of lupus, I am just concerned because my leg seems to be very achy I guess for lack of a better word, its not like it hurts persay but it is uncomfortable and
is bothering me, I do take baby aspirin and actually upped it to 2 because it sometimes moves up the leg to my thigh. I am going to the doc in a month for a check up and don't know if I making more of it or if I need to see the doc now.
Anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated as always!!:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
:rolleyes: Well, the good news is there is really no chance of this being a deep vein thrombosis. Trust me on this one, you would have gone to the emergency room by now, the pain would be so terrible. The DVT clots are the seriously dangerous, life threatening ones.

On the other hand, sounds like you are bruising more easily than you are accustomed to. There are a whole host of lupus related problems that could be causing this. I am sure if you did a search of the message boards (search key is on the tool bar at the top) for bruising, you could get an idea as to what it might be.

Phlebitis is a blood clot of a minor, small vein. Most people get them at the hospital where an IV has been placed. I have had phlebitis without any vein injury before, so it can be done. (us lupies are talented :p ) Even that tiny of a clot left the most amazing, purple/blue/green/black bruise for several months on my arm.

I would keep track of your bruising, and be sure to bring it up the next time you see your doctor. It may be something simple to correct.

Be well - Tracy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks tracey I know I am anemic and that has maybe a little to do with it!! I appreciate the insight!!
BTW I have been to littleron I have 2 uncles there and lots of cousins there its really pretty there!!
Thanks for the info!! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Tracy, I'm not sure about DVTs always being painful. My mum walked around on one for several days before I noticed that one of her legs was much more swollen than the other and packed her off to the doctor quick smart. It definitely was a DVT, and she hadn't complained of pain at all (or at least any more pain that she usually had with RA, etc). I would think this is something worth checking out with the GP in the first instance.

·
Registered
647 Posts
cemc, thank you, you are absolutly correct.

I stuck foot in mouth on that one. Don't mind me, just another deranged mind on the lupus message boards. It's what happens when you stay up all night on prednisone. oops:oops:

If anyone should suspect they have a dvt, it should be checked by a physician immediatly. My experience was severe pain, but it does not always present that way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've noticed swelling in both my legs quite a bit here lately and now I have pain right behind my knee(I've previously had knee surgery on because of torn Meniscus and for varicose veins) the pain resembles the pain I had from the varicose veins, I'm wondering if I'm getting another one or if it's a small clot? Think I'll mention it to my rheumie next week.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks you guys I am going to make an appt I feel like my leg is being constricted and I am getting tingling feelings in my feet now!!1 :eek:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I would definitely err on the side of caution. A good friend of mine knows a lady who ignored a painful leg - she was explaining at someone's funeral, said she had too much work etc - two weeks later it was her funeral they were at.

not meaning to scare you but don't ignore anything like that,
Katharine

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had a DVT last year. It wasnt unusually painful either. I had had a fall and also been very inactive due to the Lupus flare.
The doctor usually checks to see if the leg if more swollen than the other one. It was so she did a simple blood test and the results came back very quickly to say it was a DVT.
Then 10 days of trips to the hospital for an injection in my stomach followed by 6 months course of Warfarin.
Seems I was one of the lucky ones because of course if left undiscovered they can be fatal.
Cheerful lot arnt we.. best to check it out though.
Best wishes
Sal x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts