TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just got Plaquenil in the mail and it says 200mg twice daily.

Ummmmm, one in the morning and at night?

Both in the morning?

Both at night before bed?

How do you take yours?

The directions are not very specific.

As always, THANKS!:wink2:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Karol
The recommendation varies but 200mgs morning and evening is the usual. What people do varies too, but your doctor should be advising you ! After all she is responsible for your well being and you do have particular concerns.

I have been taking all my meds at once for years now, because I am less likely to forget the evening doses and there's no reason why I shouldn't take them together nor any reason why I should take these meds at specific times each day, as there is with some meds. The general theory is that it is better to maintain a continuous supply than all in one go.

The one thing that makes very good sense is to start on a low dose and gradually work up to the recommended dose. You could even try every other day. Your body will have the chance to get used to it and any of the common side effects will be less, and more serious side effects likely to be detected early on but easier to get it out of your system. I have read that it's better for some people not to take antimalarials in the evening because they can have a stimulating effect, especially Quinacrine.

Good Luck!

:)
Clare

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will ask my Rheumy about dosage tomorrow.

I have to call about my dangerously low blood sugars that are turning my life upside down for the last month.:mad::mad::mad:

Gosh I am fed up!:worried:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Yes you have to see the doctor about these hypoglycemic episodes.

About taking the Plaquenil, I forgot to make general mention that it should be taken with food and antacids shouldn't be taken for at least an hour either side because they impede absorption.

All the best and hugs - this is such a difficult time for you and I hope all will settle down soon
Clare

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Kim...aka: Jersey girl

Thanks for the Plaq advice.

What shore are you located near?

Hope your well.:wink2:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

Yes, I also take one in the morning and one in the evening. I take it with, or directly after food.

Katharine

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi....

I do the same as Clare....take them all at once. I tried taking the Plaq "one dose int he morning, one dose in the evening" as originally prescribed, but I ALWAYS forgot the evening dose. The doctor said she'd rather have me take it all at once than forget half of it. :hehe:

Carlene

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously you can take it once a day or morning and night and still get the same benefits of the drug.

Thanks so much for all the replies here.:wink2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm with Carlene. I can remember the morning but never the night. I ended up taking all of it in the morning right before I head out to work. I end up eating an hour after that for breakfast. This way it is absorbed before I put food in. I thought that I would have stomach upset but actually it has been ok. Like someone said earlier: better to take it all at once than to only take half and forget the other. Try different ways and see what your body tends to favor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts