The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering, how long you were on Cell-Cept, before you noticed am improvement in how you were feeling?

My Dr. started me on 500mgs. twice a day. He said he would start me out on half a dose. Does, that mean that he will most likely increase my dose when I see him again in 2 mos?

Thanks,
Sandy
[/SIZE][/B]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Sandy I have been on cellept 6 months now and have noticed a slight improvement with my joints but nothink major as of yet still waiting:eek: hope it kicks in soon for you
Love Lou xxxx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi,

I take 500mg 2x a day. It took about 2 months before I noticed a difference, it snuck up on me.

I have been on it about 7 months, but I still had some pain and swelling. My dr added 5mg prendisone a day and I feel wonderful...I still have some bad days, but mostly they are self inflicted as I overdid...

Hope you get good results soon.

Stephanie

·
Registered
67 Posts
I started Cellcept after six months of IV cytoxan and decadron for Lupus Nephritis. At the end of the fourth month of cytoxan, I started to notice changes in my other lupus problems. The changes weren't sustained because the protocal didn't keep a steady level in my system. After the cytoxan, I was given a choice of cytoxan, imuran or cellcept for the next 18 months. I chose the cellcept because I was starting to have reactions to the cytoxan and imuran scares me because of possible liver problems.

I am on 5 mgs. of prednisone and cannot taper off without crashing. None of my doctors want to try tapering again while I am on the cellcept because everything is "working" and my kidney function is improving.

The changes on cellcept were slow, but constant. The first thing to disappear was the neurapathy in my legs. The next to go was the swollen joints. Around 6 months into treatment all my lupus test results went negative. They are still showing negative. I'm 52 and have been diagnosed since I was 8. Never in that time did my labs go negative.

I have never been increased from 500 mg. twice daily. The nephrologist says that I will be on it for another year minimum. I'm hoping that they don't stop it.

I have an HMO and prescription coverage. They have never argued the need for cellcept, but I assume that is because of the nephritis.

audi

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Sage Hen, I'm on cellcept. I started taking cellcept in September, and I'm just now starting to feel the effects of it. My joints are feeling alot better. My GP started me out on half the dose also, 500 MG twice a day. I was on that for about a month. Then I started taking 1000 MG twice a day. But I started having some side effects, so he cut mine by 1 tablet. Right now I'm taking 1500 MG a day.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sandy,

He may increase your dosage if you arent getting the required response after 2 to 3 months, depending on how you are tolerating the drug. i.e. how your blood counts and liver function tests etc. are. Like Imuran it can take some time to sort out dosage and none of it happens overnight :( Slow adjustments upwards if necessary are the best way to do it though so his approach sounds sensible.

And just like Imuran everyone has to be monitored (bloods and liver function) when using Cellcept and Methotrexate as well. In fact all of the Immunosuppressant steroid sparing meds.

I have heard of some people on as little as 500mg daily to as much as 3000mg daily depending on their needs. It's not a drug I have taken but it's very effective for many. Lets hope you see some good results given time and the right dosage.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The only difference I got on the Cellcept was a sudden increase in memory - I'm more than happy with that! However I've suddenly had an increase in joint in pain, just within the past couple of months. :mad: I've been taking Cellcept for about 1 year but at a fairly low dose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts