The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question or two for you all please.

As the sun is out in full force now I'm applying sunblock everyday.

How much should be applied the the face? How much to the body? My face looks incredibly greasy and am wondering if I'm applying too much! And, should we totally rub it into the skin? Or leave it slightly showing?

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Surferboy,

You will really have to gauge this one yourself as everyone if different with types of skin and sun sensitivities!

Broad spectrun UVA/UBA cream is the most reccommended!

I would think it more important how often you apply, as in hours between each application! If you think logically the thicker the better!

One rule to follow is apply a coat 20-30 minutes, apply a 2nd coating (just like painting walls at home), it will hopefully get those bits you missed first time round. 2nd coat to be dried 20-30 mins before sun exposure.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
According to my dermy, use 70 or higher (in the US neutrogena make a 70, 80 and 100).

Apply thinly and as greenhaggis said let dry then re-apply.

It is the protection nummber and that it protects from both UVA and UVB that is most important.

Remember to reapply after perspiring, swimming or exercizing

Good news on your other post!

Stephanie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have heard to use 1 oz per body application. So that is quite a bit; most people do not apply nearly enough to get the protection stated on the bottle of sunblock. For those who are sun sensitive with skin or systemic problems, it is definitely wiser to error on the side of overapplication than under-application. :)

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I can only tell you what I do. I put it in all areas that are not covered by clothing including feet and the bottoms. I rub mine in all the way and reapply every 30 minutes but before I reapply I get a warm rag if I can and wipe off the last one applied. I don't care what the bottle says as I am very sensative to the sun. I just put at much as I would if it was lotion that I was using.

I do hope that this helps you a little you may have to just keep trying until you find what works best for you. I hope you feel good all summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.