The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and I hope everyone is having a good day!

I just wanted to ask how often we should have our blood work done to check our liver, etc.? My rheumy usually does blood work every six months (sometimes longer) but it seems he tests different things each time. Shouldn't things like the liver be checked each time? I am on plaquenil and relaphen. I see my eye dr. every six months due to taking the plaquenil.

I go back to my rheumy in April and would like to have an idea as to what I might need to be tested for. I know most good rheumies are very busy and don't have time to go thru our entire charts each visit and need to be reminded of our situations. No one knows our bodies more than we do ourselves. We know what is "normal" and what isn't. Does this make all of us here...."abby-normals"? :eek: At least there is comfort in numbers!:rotfl:

Take care and I hope someone can let me know how often certain tests should be done.

Thanks,
Janice

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Janice :)

I think your Rheumies routine is fine, some wouldnt even bother testing liver function when on Plaquenil and Relafen. So six monthly is good. A full blood count in any lupie is a good idea every now and then and regular urinalyis.

When someone is on immunosuppressants like Methotrexate, Imuran, Cellcept etc. then the the liver and full blood count tests are run quite frequently at first every couple of weeks, then monthly.

Hope this helps,

love
Lily

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi Janice,

My rheumy does bloodwork every office visit which is usually 2 month intervals. I am on immune suppressing medications and other medications that make that necessary. Does your rheumy know about all the medications you take? I have a list of all my medications, dosage, frequency, doctors name and what each is taken for. I generally take in an extra copy to any medical appointment to leave with the doctor for my chart.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am on methotrexate, plaquinel and a load of other meds, so my doctor does bloodwork every visit, which has been every two months or so, now more frequent since my symptoms have gotten worse.:sad: I have had issues with liver enzymes shooting up then down up then down, so they test that quite frequently, if the rheumatologist doesn't do it them my GP does. yours sounds about right, you can always check with the doctor...It seems like I am forever in the lab getting poked and proded and then peeing in a cup no one could ever hit without soaking their hands. What we must do to stay well.:hehe: Karly

·
Registered
388 Posts
hi there....i have bloods at moment every 2 weeks for various things..:).....so i suppose it would be on how you are at the time i suppose...or 3 to 6 monthly mine gets checked otherwise...jane

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Lily, Karen, Karly, and Jane :)

Thank you for your replies. It was exactly want I wanted to know. I am thankful I am not on any more meds. like so many here. My rheumy is the one who put me on the medications. He also has a list of the other meds I am on for the ohhh so wonderful hotflashes due to turning the big "50"!

Thank you again for your replies,
Janice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts