TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mum has had lupus for over thirty years so I have tried to remember to get regularly tested (every 2 to three years).
My last test was at the beginning of last year however I have been very unwell for several months now with what I remember to be the starting signs when mum was diagnosed.
I went to the docs but they said that because I had a test last year that I didn't need another one.
Is this correct and if so how regularly should you be checked?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
In my personal opinion, you should be tested when symptoms arise that are concerning... not before. Mostly, the reason is because even in some healthy people they will have a raised ANA up to 1:160 and still NOT have an autoimmune disease. This is actually especially true for family members of someone with an autoimmune disease. But when you combine a family history, with symptoms that last a while or are severe, that is exactly when you should be tested.

You may have to go back to your doctor again and stress the symptoms you are experiencing, how severe they are, and how similar they are to what your mother experienced when she first got sick. Hopefully you won't have to wait another year for more tests.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts