The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am going on a holiday to Italy in a few weeks.
Since I am in a flare these last 4 months I am reluctant to go. Is there any way I can prepare myself or protect myself sufficiently?
I am not skin-sensitive but I do feel awful when being out in the sun. I always wear long sleeves, a hat and use a 50 SPF, still I feel awful when I need to go outside.
What precautions do you all take? Should I cancel?

Hugs

Maura

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Don't really know what to say only i went once in flare, i wasnt much company, i had to go bed every afternoon, and bed early in the evening,

So i am not the one to ask, i felt terrible, but i dont know what sort of flare your having mine was cns flare, so was dizzy and odd most of the time..........

italy is such a lovley place, hope you enjoy it, but dont over do things

Lin xxxxx

·
Inky
249 Posts
HI Maura

Can't really help you with whether or not to cancel - only you can really know your own body. You could check with your medical people.

One thing I have learned though is to keep it really really lazy on holiday. If I get over excited - like a puppy off a lead:rotfl:- I have a brilliant time for two or three days and then go down hill quite quickly. And then it takes me weeks to recover from the holiday.:(

So do all the sun protection stuff (yes I am the same as you, get very very tired in the sun) and do try to keep out of the sun (all those lovely churches and ruins and cafes in the shade). Get a siesta every day especially at the hottest sunniest times, or twice a day if you can. There are lots of posts here advising about the sun.

Also try to avoid doing things that others can do for you, like driving or organising or preparing meals. And get time on your own to recoup each day when you get in. If you are like me just being with people is tiring.

Don't carry all your luggage or your shopping, just because you think you can! Airlines are usually really good if you let them know you have some disability. If you have walking problems you could ask for a wheelchair to get you through the long corridors and such at airports and sometimes hire them at tourist locations. I know it is not much of a fun idea but I recently used one in an art gallery and I enjoyed it much more although I fought tooth and nail not to sit in it. It helped my partner too as he stopped worrying about me not coping. :) And gave me energy to enjoy the rest of the day out.

Remember, too, to pace yourself every day. So many times I have not done this and regretted it afterwards. I now do a day on and a day off when on holiday, my day on is rarely strenuous physically. I used to attempt to do longish walks but now I do brief strolls with lots of cafe breaks. It may mean sometimes chilling on my own in bed some days which is hard I know but it works for me. Take lots of holiday reading or sewing or craft stuff you like to do perhaps.

Holidays are good, we all need them. I hope you are able to go, but always remember if you can't this time then things will change and you will get another holiday another time.

Lots of Love
Sara

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Dear Maura

You have already been given great advice. I just wanted to add that I think your decision as to whether to go depends on a number of things. For example what type of holiday is it? Is it lounging around in an air conditioned hotel with a shaded pool area? Is it going to look at the ancient ruins? Is it a city break taking in all the sites and churches, etc etc? I think the type of holiday would very much determine whether I would be able to go or not. A package type holiday with no kids, air conditioning, room service and very shaded pool area would just about be the height of what I could bear!

Also I think it depends very much on who is going with you. If you are worried about being ill and 'spoiling' other peoples fun then you are going to be anxious all the time. On the other hand if it is with someone you are very close to and who understands what you are going through and that you will need some 'down' time, then thats okay.

The last time I went abroad on holiday I was very ill. I had to get a doctor to my room on the day I was due to return. I really thought I would never get home. However that was a four day trip to Euro Disney which was non stop walking, etc. Total madness! Never again....

Could you could contact your Rheumy and tell him/her your concerns and worries? I dont know what medications you are on but they might prescribe you a short course of steroids (or increase existing amounts) to help with the flare and to give you a good chance of enjoying the holiday. My rheumy did this for my trip (even though it wasnt enough!) but I was still glad that I plucked up the courage to ring her and get her advice and support.

Whatever you decide to do Maura - just make the decision to stick with it. Sometimes we just dont know what is the best thing to do but to my mind the best thing to do is make the decision and to heck with it!

Hope you can go and I hope you get to enjoy every moment as well ;)

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for answering my questions and your advice. :grhug::grhug:
We will be going to lake Garda. Our friends have an appartment there and we will stay with them. They all know about my lupus and heart problems so that is a relief. But you are right, I am still a bit afraid of ruining other peoples fun.
I will see my rheumy the week before I leave so I will ask her if there is something I should take with me ( beside my usual meds).
I think we will visit churches, ruins and so but take lots of time to rest as well. I hope they understand that.
The sun is what causes me much fear for obvious reasons.
I hope there will be lots of clouds. :excited::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Hugs

Maura

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Maura,

Hope you have a good time. I am taking all precautions with the sun on my holiday, cloudy or not the UV rays still come through. Sunscreen, hat and even a compact umbrella for me :)

Don't forget your camera :)

love
Lily

1 - 6 of 6 Posts