TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While i was in the hospital. the er did an anticougulant test on me and came back 27 normal is 20.

i have been worried about this all this time and just wanted to get some suggestion from you.

they put me on aggrenox a blood thinner. im a bit worried because im not sure if this is enough to avoid a blood clot (im afraid of getting a heart attack or a stroke., is my main concern.

if i hada result of 27 what should be my next step. what kind of a doctor should i be seeing for this? if i get a positive anticardiolipid result. Does that mean that i have hughes syndrome? i dont want to get a heart attack of stroke before they do something about it.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Sushi,

The way I read it Aggrenox not only has an aspirin component but also another component to help the platelets not stick together. It is commonly used for stroke and TIA patients. I am not an expert but it should help keep your blood from clotting.

TBunny posted something that might interest you:

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68698&highlight=aggrenox

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi lazylegs, i tried that link but, it said i do not have access to the page.

thank you.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sushi,

The link works ok for me?

love
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Dear Sushi

I am sorry you have this new worry. I guess the only way to look at it is that this drug is very effective in reducing strokes and such.

I believe that both the anti coagulant and the anti cardiolipin levels can vary from time to time. That's why they usually test twice at an interval of 6-8 weeks. I am sure they will be keeping a very close eye on you.

Remember that only one third of those with these antiphospholipid antibodies ever suffer major events from them. It does take time to adjust to this sort of new fear but it is very understandable especially when we are already prone to anxiety.

Are your anti deps helping you cope at all?

I started taking Prozac a couple of months ago when I recognised I was near to being in a high anxiety state. It has been very helpful in a general way but I am going to ask the doc if I can put it up temporarily if there's an extra major stressor.

Hugs
Clare

ps The link doesn't work for me either, same notice. I have noticed site links not working lately

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Gremlins at work, it doesn't link for me now either :hehe:

Here's a bit more info anyway on Aggrenox Sushi. Lazylegs is right in that it's actions are two-fold. The aspirin in it will thin the blood and the other ingredient dipyridamole acts to stop the platelets sticking together to form a clot. It's more effective at preventing a stroke than aspirin alone.

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/aggrenox.html

love
Lily

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i put Tbunnys name in the "search" box and it worked that way for me. then i went to view profile, then clicked on her threads.

Clare thank you for your reply you always make me feel more calm.
i took some xanax yesterday and today and it made my body feel so much better. i only took them for my mri test. i know that doctors dont like perscribing them because theyre addicting. (i wish they werent) because they make me feel better. monday ill be starting Lexapro.

im sorry to hear about your anxiety a couple of months ago but im glad that youre ok now.:)

Lily, thanks for the link on aggrenox.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts