The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed a change in their voice. Mine is now quite husky sounds as if I have a cold all the time - I think it sounds sexy but hubby says no sounds like you have a cold.

Any ideas

·
Registered
76 Posts
i had that husky voice last may when i had a bad flare. After the flair was over the voice returned to normal. I don't know why this happens but it does sometimes, mary jane

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm known for my husky voice. Mine has been life long and due to improper breathing, which caused nodules to form on my vocal cords. They were removed when I was around 11 or 12 ( more than a few moons ago). Over the past couple of years my voice becomes fatigued easier, especially at work where talking to customers is a must. ENT testing showed no nodules but a stiff upper left cord. Voice exercises could improve the condition but insurance refused to pay for the Speech follow up so I never learned the lessons. A good ENT visit may provide you some answers...not necessarily lupus related.
Joanne

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

If you have Sjogrens as well its very common to get this with flares.

love
Lily

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi :)

I was going to suggest Sjogren's as a possibility too. Another thing that can cause a husky voice is a thyroid that's gone wrong.

·
Registered
718 Posts
my doctor says it's from the methotrexate

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies - I have Sjorens and an underactive thyroid so I suppose the two combined dosen't help. I will speak to my rheumie when I see her in Oct.

Lynn

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had a husky voice for about 4 years, it had gotten to the stage where it was nothing but croaky! I was referred to ENT and ended up having a nodule or two removed a few months ago. Was told that I was suffering some left cord paralysis. ENT also found white deposits on my left cord which showed no diagnostic features, so they decided that my lupus must be causing it. Which tends to be the default answer to anything that can't be figured out...

Anyway, am now less husky. It's now leaning towards the sexy side of husky, rather than the "ooh do you have a cold? your throat sounds sore" which got annoying when asked the fifth time of the day! Plenty of sleep and hydration makes a world of difference too. It does get huskier during a flare up, because the area around the cords get swollen which reduces vibrations of the cords, ergo quality of voice.

I hope that helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts