The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello evryone

well im new here so i would like to say hello and i have been dx with lupus since 2002 mostly skin and vasculitis of skin ......im 39 and live in cananda..

my question is how many of you have hypothyroid and what were your symtoms that sent you to the docs office??????

mkhs4
thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi and welcome mkhs4, I am hypothyroid. But I started out about 23 years ago with hyperthyroid Graves. I went on all the meds to try and make me better. Two years later I ended up having to have radioactive iodine. A year later or so after the iodine, I was hypothyroid. Some of the symptoms I remember telling my Dr when my thyroid started to fail was being cold, gaining weight, being constipated, having trouble with my memory, my heart rate was pretty low. Puffy hands and feet. And wanting to sleep all the time. Have you been diagnosed with thyroid problems?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i have not but im having symtoms lately including very tired,weight gain,cold,abdomen swelling,etc..... but no constipation....

mkhs4

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was diagnosed with a hypothyroid 20 years before I was diagnosed with Lupus. It started with problems with my skin and fatigue.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My first hypo-thyroid symptoms were fatigue, headaches and weight gain, may have been more but that was almost 10 years ago, wow time goes by so fast.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
My thryroid packed it in a few years ago and I was diagnosed with SLE about a year later.
Not great fun but the folks on this board are a great support.
Douglas+
Calgary AB

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have hypothyroid and was diagnosed (confirmed) last year, but I always argued with my docs that I have had it since my son was born (8 yrs ago), actually I probably also started signs of lupus then but never really followed up on anything, as far as blood test. Always the same old story your stessed tired and a new baby, BLAH BLAH BLAH... It was my second child so it was not like something new to me(motherhood). Anyway keep persisting to your doc your symptoms and feelings, I once even brought a book with my symptoms in there and showed the doc along with taking my temp every few hours to show low body temp (my normal is 97.3). It doesn't hurt to offer information since doctors now a days are only in the office with us for minutes at a time!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
No symptoms that I would have gone to the doctor with. I had low sodium last summer. As part of the sodium investigation, they did a CAT scan to look at my chest and found pleural thickening (not related to the sodium by the way) and scheduled a repeat CAT scan. At the repeat CAT scan they found the plerual thickening to be a bit improved (but still not related to the sodium) and a goiter (not related to the sodium or the pleural thickening...isn't our illness fun?). Apparently a goiter is an enlarged thyroid gland. Mine also has nodules all over it. I have thyroid uptake scanning this Monday and Tuesday and doc says treatment can range from medicine to taking it out. Looking at the symptoms I do feel a tightness in my neck and I have gained weight. I'm often tired and I'm always cold (I have Raynauds) so who could tell? I do tire of these medical test trails that lead to everything and nowhere all at the same time. The thyroid uptake test will probably indicate there is something wrong with my toenails.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts