The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I am due to have a hysterectomy on 1st July. Think this is because of my lupus symptoms have been worse since diagnosis of lupus and the cysts etc i have i have had for a long time so bit confused.
I am unclear after reading info if i will feel better or worse after op and because i'm losing one ovary and possibly the other afraid of hrt as have read that this can can lupus flares and joint pain etc due to hormones going mad.
anyone had hysterectomy and found it beneficial or not could you please help,

many thanks, lesley x

·
4,435 Posts
Hi Lesley, had a hysterectomy, bowel resection, one ovary removed, ureters scraped, endometrial tumour removed etc etc in 07... didn't know that I had MCTD at that point, it was a year later that the joint pains started but had already had the rash for years... anyway I am soooo glad I had the op, I have not needed HRT as my one ovary is doing well on its own... I also had a fibroid removed. I feel more feminine, not less, what a relief not to be in agony so much and not to bleed so heavily and feel sub human!!! Obviously you need to give yourself plenty of space to heal, especially with Lupus and you need to make sure everybody is aware of your health history, might be a good idea to discuss any extra precautions with your Rheumy pre operatively.
I wish you well, I was terrified but should have done it years before, so all the best and hope you feel all the better for it XX
Claire XX
Ps had had 3 caesarians, 2 laps for cysts and adhesions etc etc etc Oh and a hernia repair for a poorly performed caesarian!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy - 9 Days post-op

Hiya. Just thought I'd chime in as I've recently undergone a total abdominal hysterectomy. I was absolutely terrified, but feeling really great right now.

Not to mention that 4 days in the hospital on a morphine drip was the first time in years without joint pain!:wink2:

I was particularly worried about how my lupus symptoms would behave - but, so far (fingers crossed) it seems that my immune system is busy fighting real problems and is leaving the rest of my joints / organs alone (at least for now, and I'll take it for as long as it lasts).

Anyway, I can't really help you insofaras longer term effects, as I said in the subject line, I'm only 9 days post-op, but I did want to provide you with two things...first I just found a website called Hyster Sisters that I really like, wish I'd heard of it before my surgery...
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=29

And second, I would be happy to give you reports from time-to-time if you'd like. So far, my op and recovery are almost text book - having a urinary tract infection (UTI) now, so antibiotics are on the sched for this afternoon, but otherwise, seem to be progressing nicely.

I would tell you not to worry too much, but if you're like me you probably will anyway. I'm so glad to be on this side of the procedure, and I'm already noticing that many of the gynae symptoms I was struggling seem to be dramtically improved.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or whatnot. Happy to help if I can.

Lara

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Just wanted to wish you all the best with your operation in July

Sheila x :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much to everyonee who commented on my post. Hope things go as well for me and hope you are all keeping well , i love this site it is so reassuring to hear from real people i the same boat as me who know what we are all going through.
Thanks again and will let you know how i get on, XX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts