The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Hi Elaine and :welcome:

although sorry for what brings you here :(

Yours is a very common story unfortunately - let's hope you get some answers soon. We have a few Irish members here and hopefully they will chime in soon.

In the meantime here's a little about your doc (I assume it's the same one, unless he has a son in the same specialty) - he is no spring chicken but lets hope all those years of experience have taught him something :bigsmile: :luck:

http://www.rcsi.ie/fsem/news/CitationMGMolloy2007.pdf

love
Lily

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Hi Elaine,

You must feel relieved and a bit shocked at the same time after all this time of everyone questioning whether you were actually ill or not. :hug:

He's probably just being cautious on the Plaquenil and seeing what your latest test results show. It's one of our most benign meds and as halfpint says does actually slow the progression of the disease. It will take a little while to map your particular profile of Lupus, we are all very different, but that is one drug that 99% of Lupies take initially and often forever. No matter what else is added or taken away over the course of time. Pred is often used short term to get inflammation down quickly and some remain on a low dose over a longer period of time. Most docs these days would see how the Plaquenil goes and if its not enough they would then introduce an Immunosuppressant (i.e. so called steroid sparing med) if need be. Negating the need for long term Pred. It's the high doses or long term treatment that can lead to weight gain but don't go getting ahead of yourself that may not end up being part of your med regime anyway in the long term. Most weight gain problems with Pred happen because it can make us crave all the wrong kinds of foods, sweets, lots of carbs etc. The trick is trying to have other healthy snacks laying around so we don't reach for those things.

As Joan said Anti-DsDNA is a clincher for a Lupus diagnosis and I'm surprised no-one else picked that up until now :rolleyes::mad: or did you only just recently show this result?

Good luck and do let us know how you progress from here.

love
Lily

1 - 2 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.