The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am SO over the mud, mud and more mud. It has rained (and when it rains in New Zealand it fair buckets down) every day since I got back from Canada a month ago. Actually they tell me it rained for the three weeks I was away in Canada. There have been awful floods up and down the country because of this stupid weather, so I suppose it is a blessing that atleast we haven't been flooded out.

I usually like rain but i am SO TOTALLY OVER IT !!!!!!! I am so sick of trudging around the dog park in the pouring rain with my crutches sinking in at every step coz the dogs need a walk, rain or shine. Yes they can miss the odd day, but they can't miss a month of walks, and heck, they don't care about the mud. They just run and play with all their doggy mates and have a wonderful time in a sea of mud. I have bought a plastic backed liner for my back seat, and I am not washing it until spring. It's covered by about 3 inches of mud. It looks appalling, but fortunately it says 'pets on the move' so people generally get the idea.

The dogs are very used to getting hosed down when we get home - none of that nice hot bath stuff - heck dogs jump into the freezing cold sea for a swim in the middle of winter, so why should they worry about a nice clean hosing down.

And just to moan even more, I am totally over all the stuff I have to cart around to keep myself mobile. And I hate my splints for my legs/feet, plus the additional straps they have had to put on them to stop my legs twisting any which way. They weren't bad looking before the extra straps, now they are hideous. When I walk my dogs I have to get my splints and shoes on, which is harder now with the extra straps that sort of sprout out of my shoes, drive to the dog park, take of the stupid splints and shoes, put my gumboots on, walk the dogs, take gumboots off, put shoes and splints back on, drive home then take stupid shoes and splints off coz I hate wearing them at home. Man am I over doing that everynight ! I can't wait for spring when I can just walk the dogs in my ordinary shoes. I can't drive without my splints as my feet are too floppy so I have to do all the taking on and off. My splints don't fit in my gumboots, so that makes me even more slidey as my feet spring back into their club foot position that is now their natural position. That plus zero movement in my toes (which means I can't grip on to anything) has me sliding all over the place.

Oh well, it will be spring soon, I hope. I am also sick of my walker, even though I have loved my walker for years, but with increasing nerve damage in my arms it is getting hard to lift it out of the boot even though it is very lightweight. Which is really annoying me, coz i like being independent, it's the most important thing in the world for me.

seems like I only post here when I moan these days ........ I am sure tomorrow will be a better day

raglet

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hold on Raglet, summer is just around the corner. I too am looking forward to the warmer weather. It seems like we have had such a long cold winter here in Aussie land.
My family and I are coming to NZ next year to spend 10 days in the snow. I don't know how I will go but will give it my best shot.

Denise

PS Tomorrow will be a better day:wink2:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

If it's any consolation it is supposedly summer here but as ususal in Belgium has continued to rain rather a lot. It is a bit less wet and sticky mud side and, as I always say to hubby, the sun always seems to come out when I absolutely have to go out :(.

I can truly understand that you must be very fed up of splints, shoes, gumboots (wellies), walkers...there are things that in life that are such a pain and yet, we don't have a choice and just have to get on with it. I think at times, we have a right to say - I don't WANT to!!!

I don't suppose there's any way to get boots with football studs or something on for the grip...:wink2:

I'll leave you there now with my silly suggestions,
Katharine

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Same here Raglet - Summer here = rain, mud, floods..... Im glad I dont have the extra burden of having to walk dogs in the rain and mud though.

What a 'summer' it has been in the Northern Hemisphere. This month has been the wettest here on record apparently. Unfortunately my house got flooded last week. Im in the middle of a muddle with insurers, wrecked back garden, wrecked flooring, etc. It looks like I may have to temporarily move out while the repairs are getting done. Dont fancy that but I think staying in the damp and dirt would be worse.

It must be a right royal pain in the butt having to lug all that paraphernalia around just to stay mobile :hug: I'm sure you often long for the days when you just woke up, hopped out of bed and out the door - instead of feeling like you were getting ready for battle every day :hug:

Here's to some nice, easy days ahead, eh?....

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
OK So I will add to the moan...here in Florida its Hurricane season, we get monsoon rains everyday. Hurricane warinings mean takeing in all the yard stuff, putting up the shutters, battening down the hatches and waiting, watching the news 24/7. Then return all to normal and wait for the next warning. June - November!

I am so over it too!

I am so sorry about your feets and hands, I know you mentioned before about having the car converted to handicapped, so you can drive with your hands, is that still an option? With the government help pay for it?

I think of you often, you are always in my prayers.

Love Stephanie

·
11,410 Posts
Same here too Raglet.

This has been an awful summer here for us too. With killer tornado's, flooding homes, farm fields flooding. Then add all that awful humidity on top of it all.

I understand how much of a pain it is for you, to get everything lined up to go out. Like you say our dogs need to go out no matter what the weather is doing.

We have a saying here in Iowa. If you don't like the weather wait five minutes and it will change.:hehe: Fall is around the corner for us.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Raglet and all

I am sorry you are having such a bad time of it with the rain, floods, hurricanes, etc.

We are just getting glimses of sun between the rain. My friends and I have been working outside when we would normally pack it in due to the rain. Unfortunately we have no choice - it is the same as last year - no point waiting for breaks in the rain - just got to keep slipping around in the mud with the ocassional effort of tying tarpaulines up to hide under on site.

We have not finished any of the gardens we started.

My own house is mid extension building. My builders have had to break into the existing house early so they can work inside before they have finished outside just to keep momentum up. We are 6 weeks behind on the build and the house is full of rubble, dust and piles of stuff. It is freezing at night becasue we have windows missing.

We a re lucky being up in the hills, so all the rain runs downhill quickly and we do not flood - thank heavens. I do not know how you cope.

The cat is using the scaffolding to reach her cat flap on the first floor cos the outside steps have been demolished. She climbs up the ladders to the scaffolding and is very skittsh right now. She has taken to sleeping on our bed, with its white douvet cover. So we get into bed with bits of muddy twigs, grit and other debris that has transferred from her long hair.

The kitchen ceiling caved in following a bad leak - just mised my head, but got computer, etc. a few weeks ago. Fortunately, switched everything off, tippped water out and left to dry for a couple of days before plugging back in. All electrical goods still working, so silver lining!

It is horrible and I think we all deserve a bit of sun, please!

:love:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you guys - while I am not 'pleased' exactly that the weather is driving you nuts too, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

And it occured to me tonight when I was taking my shoes off to put my gumboots on, that although the splints don't help, they don't make it THAT much worse really when I look around and see the rest of the carpark taking their shoes off and putting on their gummies well I didn't feel too bad.

Today at work was our fortnightly '10 minute massage' we get fortnightly, so it isn't all bad.

cheers

raglet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts