The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's taken me all week to get around to doing this but I wanted to share my achievement. It's been so long since I have been able to do some reasonably good walking other than on the flat so I am feeling rather proud of myself.

For the first time in many years I am starting to feel more like a human being than a zombie, which is nice and having Missy has encouraged me to go out and get some exercise. On Sunday Hubby and I decided to go for a walk and for many years I have wanted to get up to the top of Brent Knoll Hill (which was a hill fort) to check out the views. Anyway I decided to give it a go. We parked up halfway up and set off at that point it gets quite steep.

Well to cut a long story short I made it WOOHOO:jump::micbounce:. I know it isn't Snowdon or some other high peak but as I haven't done something like this for an age I was chuffed. I was grinning like a Cheshire cat for the rest of the day. My legs were a little wobbly when I got to the top but it didn't take too long for them to settle down. Next time I will do it from the middle of the village to the top and use it as a fund raising exercise! Here's Missy and me at the top as you can see the view is amazing!

View attachment 225

Claire :cloud9:

Attachments

·
Marika
349 Posts
Great really pleased for you....people who don't have Lupus why we get so exceited about 'little acheivements' I get feel really great just cause I managed to get the jam jar top off on my own!!!!!! well...anyway.....
well done...
Love marika
xxxxxx

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Congratulations Claire! Cute puppy, lovely views. Yes, we are happy when we do simple things. Things others take for granted, we have learned to appreciate as major milestones.

I was very happy with myself a couple weeks ago when I got 3 roses transplanted, all are doing well, and got several heucheras transplanted into where the roses came out. Got several other plants relocated in the garden, and felt totally thrilled I got it all done. So, know what you mean.

I want to start walking this spring with the dogs. We have a great trail that I have used a few times, and it is nice and flat for a long way. It was an old train bed that has been turned into a trail. Now that I have the 3 dogs, it will be a good use to get them trained.

Good luck on your next hike from the village.
Sally

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Well done Claire :)

I know exactly what that feels like when you can do something again that had become so hard. All those things we used to take for granted.

hugs to you and Missy,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Well done you!

You certainly look the part of a hiker!

Take care!

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Was just thinking of you today!!! Glad that things are going well.

Deb

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your encouragement and support. People do take for granted things that come easy to them but is a great achievement to us lupies! Some days it's a great achievement to make it up the stairs without collapsing in a heap!!

Marika I know what you mean about the lids on jars, there have been days when it would be easier to open it against a wall, but that would just be messy!!

Lesley I suppose I do look like a hiker. The hat is a Tilley, not cheap but it stays on your head in any wind and is guaranteed SPF50 (apparently). Well it keeps the sun off my face and doesn't blow off!

Keep smiling!!

Claire xx

·
4,436 Posts
Congrats Claire... bet you had one of my Grand Marnier pancakes the night before !!!!!!!!:rotfl:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
What a Trooper you are Claire! Congratulations on your wonderful achievement.:) Im contemplating the stairs at the moment and they are looking very daunting!

Well done again! Missy looks very happy too ;)

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Claire,

How wonderful! I am so happy you were able to achieve your goal..:) I know, it felt so good..to get there.

How fun!
ox Sandy

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Wow, this is great and I am proud of you.

The view is beautiful and I thank you for sharing a piece of your world with us.

I hope you have many more days like this, with the camera in hand.

Much love to you clair.;););)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys

Claire Sorry not tried the grand marnier pancakes yet, but I will as it sounds rather scrummy. Karol the view from the top is so stunning, you can see the coast the, Glastonbury Tor, Mendip hills, the Quantocks and Exmoor and just to finish it off the M5 Motorway and a powerstation:hehe:.

View attachment 226

I never thought I would ever be able to do anything like this again, but I have! I hope that everyone else has the chance to fulfull one dream or wish in their lifetime, dispite the Lupus. I am feeling pretty well at the moment, still have days like you Joan when the stairs feel like the Himalyas:rotfl:, but thanks to the support from you guys, my GP who is the best and my bosses who have allowed me time and reduced my hours, I am starting to feel more "human" instead of the walking zombie I have been for the last 10 years or so. I'm not going to start counting my chickens just yet, but I am feeling positive for the first time in ages... So thank you all for your support and advice!!

Claire

Attachments

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
This will make you laugh.............most of the places you mentioned I have never even heard of.:blush::blush::blush:

Off to Google. I just love Google!!!:lol::lol::lol:

My dream is Ireland. I have family there I have never met and a few friends too. I think my dream will happen next year, or at least I am hopeful.:wink2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
well done

:rotfl: glad to hear that you have managed such a lovely walk it allways makes me feel good to get out and walk wen i can, and as we have a border collie we need to go out alot. thankfully the kids are old,and sensible enough to take her when i cant. One of my fav walks is Lossiemouth beach, lots of beach and if you lucky you get to see seals, so it really makes me feel good.Hope you continue to enjoy your walks.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Claire,
My little dog, despite being tiny,pulls still as he is only a puppy. He is better than a Rollator because he helps me along.

Very well done to you, glad you had the presence of mind to take photos.
x Lola

1 - 17 of 17 Posts