The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have hardly posted in the last 6-9 days. At first it was because I got the wonderful flu from my darling husband. I have had the flu shot and followed my normal obsessive cleaning of knobs and handles and such. What didn't get to happen was the first night he thought he might be sick I still slept in our bed with him as our son had a friend over and they stayed up late playing video games.

The other reason I have been mostly not here is a good one. 2 years ago I took up quilting and have been enjoying it immensely. Last year I was so ill for awhile and then it was up and down for several months. During that time frame I didn't participate in any quilt group activities as I didn't know from week to week what I could guarantee to finish.

One of the swaps my cyber quilting group was running was something I was interested in. My health has mostly stabilized the past few months and I felt I could commit to participating. The deadline to have the blocks in the mail was yesterday evening. Having been down with the flu for several days last week put me behind on completing my portion. It was with great relief when I was able to put them in the mail chute at the post office at 8:30 last night.

I am a bit tired from the longer sewing time the past few days and yet very glad that I participated. I should be back to my normal forum activities in a day or two. In addition to the joy of being able to participate I was also able to improve my skills as I identified where I was making mistakes. With that improvement as time went by I spent less time unsewing than I did in the past.

I would never have re-learned to sew let alone attempt quilting if it weren't for being ill from Lupus. ( and the other stuff I have) It is something that gives me great joy and I can do it at whatever pace my body sets for that day or week.

Karen

·
Jen
407 Posts
Hi Karen,

Glad to hear from you and to learn about your quilting. I have found a renewed interest in sewing as well. My dining room looks like a sewing factory. I don't sew every day but I do a couple of days a week and it is great. Keeps my mind thinking and off of the winter boredom, I too would have never had this hobby without the lupus.

I don't quilt but do make some cute things for my girls and their dolls. My last project was a market bag that really came out well (I received some upholstery scraps from my mother's friend and they work great for these bags), I even learned how to put in a magnetic snap closure.

Anyway, keep quilting, it is amazing how much there is to learn in the sewing world.

Just in case you are interested, there is a site called patternreview.com and it is great once you learn how to navigate it. People post photos of items they made and a review of the pattern so you know what to expect prior to using a particular pattern. It is awesome!

Jen

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Karen,

I'm glad to hear you're back and over your flu :) and also that you have found such joy and achievement in your quilting hobby.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Karen, woo hoo, the quilting bug bit you but good! It's wonderful to have something to look forward to, even if it's only holding your fabric and sighing over the quilty magazines.

Sunny
Happy that another convert has found her way to the quilt side

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hi karen

welcome back!..sorry to hear you have had flu but glad you have recovered now :)

well done with your quilting,what a lovely achievement!
my mum is a seamstress but unfortunately I never inherited her talent :rolleyes: I think it's a lovely hobby to have.

I'm glad to hear your health has stabilised karen, take good care
:hug: karen x

p.s did you take any photographs of your quilting karen?(hint hint :hehe: )

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Karen,

I'm so glad you are over the flu - it has really hit folks hard this year.

I used to do embroidery and tapestry many moons ago but never seem to have the time now. I'm with Karen, I'd love to see what you do :)

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I'm sorry about the flu Karen and hope you make a full speedy recovery and let's hope that's it for this winter.

As a former quilter myself I completely understand your pleasure at your quilting achievements and the triumph of completing a project. You spent a lot of time carefully considering what activity would suit you best - it's great that you are getting so much fulfillment from it.

All best :)
Clare

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I latch-hook when I'm able ;) Quilting is a bit beyond me! But I love to look at them and appreciate them. We have a large Mennonite and Amish population near us and they frequently raise money with quilt auctions. I cannot believe how much money they go for sometimes a few thousand dollars!

So congratulations on your accomplishment despite the impediments that got in your way. :)

Keep resting, the flu can really take it out of you for a few weeks after recovering from the acute symptoms even...

·
11,410 Posts
I am sorry to hear you had the flu. (((Karen)))

It is wonderful that you have found a hobby that you enjoy.:)

Take care and get plenty of rest.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Karen,
I am sorry you caught the flu bug. I am so happy though that you have found a positive that Lupus has afforded you. I think we always think about what it takes from us, but we never really talk about what are the positives from it. One of the positives I can say is I have been on this web site and met you all. Karen, I am so glad you are enjoying a hobby.
I have tried to sew so many times and I am just not good at it. I too have cross stitched and done latch hook in the past. I cannot do that any longer due to the pain. My hobby is very simple and boring-reading:)

I would love to see your quilts if possible.

Keep up the quilting!!!

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all so much for your kind words. Maia thank you for the reminder about the recovery from the flu. I was afraid I might be heading into a flare but it is mostly exhaustion that is plauging me. I have this habit of expecting myself to accomplish more than I truly can, especially after a flu or cold bug has hit my body. I will put some photos of my quilts in the gallery sometime soon.

Karen

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Karen

I am sure glad you recovered from the flue and you are able to take up the quiltiene again as i know you do love that and sounds like you are really good at it to.It is nice to have a hobie for sure to keep your mind off of things hopefully.Please take care of yourself and sure cannot wait to see the pictures of the quilts also.Hope you are able to stay healthy.

Tammy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts