The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have had a very painful last week I am having excruciating pain in my lower back that seems to not be going anywhere!! I have tried heat all week, ice, pain meds, muscle relaxers, Nothing is helping, :sad:
I called my Rheumy and asked if it could be related to something or what I should do (my labs are a mess) After a week of no return phone call:mad:
I finally got a call today and she wants me to see a neurologists!! for an EKG and some other test, I told her the pain feels like a brick laying on my lower back and at times the pain does radiate sometimes down a leg sometimes to one side of my back!!
I have been having twitches for a while in my leg right side only go figure so I guess it wouldn't hurt to see a neurologists, BUT I am NOT so sure this back pain is a nerve problem, Does anyone else get this kind of pain or had it before? any advice is greatly appreciated I am wondering if I should see my OB/GYN maybe its female related I can't tell, I just can't take it anymore it really hurts and I thought after a week it would be a little better esp with heat and ice applied.
HELP ME!!!!:sad:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Cispence,

I am truly sorry youre in so much pain! If things are that bad please go to the ER!

Take care and let us know how you get on!

Hugs Lesley

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Lesley,

Yes I have this pain now. The doctor did an MRI on my back and found i have 2 slipped disks in L2 and L3 lower back area.

It is excrutiating,, i too take muscle relaxants and pain killers. The pain is at its worse when it radiates down the leg or i'l have what feels like a golf ball on one side of my upper butt. Sometimes i feel like a bones is floating around back there, touching a nerve and causing the pain.When I'm like this i consider myself being in a flare, everything else acts up as well. Muscle pain out of control. Swelling begins out of no where.

When i'm not in a flare my back does not hurt.

The best thing that works for me is my Tens Unit. TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation). My physical theropist, after working with me for a couple of months, suggested the tens unit, since i have chronic pain. An operation is not likely due to my connective tissue issue. Once the theropist recommened the tens unit the doctor wrote a prescription for it and i get the RX to my therapist, who in turn gave it to the company who carries the tens unit. Once my insurance company approved it,, they sent the kit to me and my therapist showed me how to use it. It really very simple. My extra pads are mailed to be if i request them. The company asks me just about every month if i need new pads.. so i'm set for life.

It is heavenly when those electrodes start massaging the muscle in my back. Some days i just walk around with it on all day. Go to store with the little box attached to my shirt collar so the wires are not floating around.

Some times i don't have the time to put the unit on, so i take a couple of pain killers til i can get to it. But once i have it on i'm good to go,, i just can't do to much or i'll be right back where i started. Andit is not recommended to sleep with it on.

All in all this is my life with one pain. Others like, fibromyalgia and joint pain are tended to by other medication.

I hope you are able to relieve your pain soon,
Take Care

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain :(

I may be wrong but I don't think that back pain specifically is very usual in lupus so it does sound like seeing a neuro would be a good idea. The OB/GYN also sounds like a good idea. Could you do both?

I'd also agree with Lesley that if it isn't going then you need to go into A&E.

keep us posted,
Katharine

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
So sorry to hear of your pain. Been there; done that; didn't like it a whole lot.
This was one of my presenting symptoms so I know it well, expecially the "twitches", spasms that can be painless or knock me rightoff my pins. Pain meds and an anti-spaz (muscle relaxant) has worked for me.
Hope you find relief soon!
Pax,
Douglas+

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.