The Lupus Forum banner

i think my doctor made a mistake!(antidepressants)

421 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Raglet
i went to see my gp today to see if she can perscribe me some antidepressants. she gave me zoloft, but 50mgs isnt this too
many mgs to start off with? shouldnt she had given me this medication
on a much lower dose?

im going to call her tomorrow. but just want to know what you think.

thank you all:)
1 - 1 of 9 Posts
Hi Sushi,

I found this information on the web about zoloft. I hope it is helpful.
The paragraph below the web link talks about your 50mg dosage concern.

http://www.rxlist.com/zoloft-drug.htm#ids

Panic Disorder, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder-ZOLOFT treatment should be initiated with a dose of 25 mg once daily. After one week, the dose should be increased to 50 mg once daily.
While a relationship between dose and effect has not been established for major depressive disorder, OCD, panic disorder, PTSD or social anxiety disorder, patients were dosed in a range of 50-200 mg/day in the clinical trials demonstrating the effectiveness of ZOLOFT for the treatment of these indications. Consequently, a dose of 50 mg, administered once daily, is recommended as the initial therapeutic dose. Patients not responding to a 50 mg dose may benefit from dose increases up to a maximum of 200 mg/day. Given the 24 hour elimination half-life of ZOLOFT, dose changes should not occur at intervals of less than 1 week.

Good Luck!
See less See more
1 - 1 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.