TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

On Friday I had to go for a DWP medical. I've been on IB for 9 years and have had regular medicals along the way and in principal I have no objection as it is probably the best way they have of catching those who really shouldn't be claiming.

I have urticarial vasculitis, asthma and epilepsy and I am under investigation for SLE. Over the years since first claiming I have got progressively worse and normally I feel confident that the doctor can see this.

This time however things seemed a little different. Mainly that the doctor seemed to think it was within his remit to discuss my treatment. This is something that they say in all the paperwork is not part of the process, but there I was having this doctor who knows very little about what is a rare condition telling me that in his opinion I take far too many pills and that he thinks I am 'too dependent on high level painkillers.' He suggested that I talk to my GP about weaning me off some of the drugs because the side effects made me unfit to work! He also said that I should seek 'professional help to deal with your negative attitudes towards your illness and its affect on your life.' As for the last one - he'd feel pretty negative too if he'd gone from the very active lifestyle I used to live to the one I have now.

I was stunned and now I am worried that somehow they may be in the position to insist on a review of my treatment in order to try and force me to work. Believe me if I could work I would - it is very hard to manage on the benefit payments and I would love a source of income that would pay me more.

Has anyone else had the same experience and if so what was the outcome? I must admit that it's left me really worried.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Just read your letter, had to read it again cos im tired, but no i havnt had anything like that happen, but how dare they ytell you about your meds, i would be telling my rheym at once...

Lin xxxx

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Eva

Eva-L;516993 said:
Hi everyone,

On Friday I had to go for a DWP medical. I've been on IB for 9 years and have had regular medicals along the way and in principal I have no objection as it is probably the best way they have of catching those who really shouldn't be claiming.

I have urticarial vasculitis, asthma and epilepsy and I am under investigation for SLE. Over the years since first claiming I have got progressively worse and normally I feel confident that the doctor can see this.

This time however things seemed a little different. Mainly that the doctor seemed to think it was within his remit to discuss my treatment. This is something that they say in all the paperwork is not part of the process, but there I was having this doctor who knows very little about what is a rare condition telling me that in his opinion I take far too many pills and that he thinks I am 'too dependent on high level painkillers.' He suggested that I talk to my GP about weaning me off some of the drugs because the side effects made me unfit to work! He also said that I should seek 'professional help to deal with your negative attitudes towards your illness and its affect on your life.' As for the last one - he'd feel pretty negative too if he'd gone from the very active lifestyle I used to live to the one I have now.

I was stunned and now I am worried that somehow they may be in the position to insist on a review of my treatment in order to try and force me to work. Believe me if I could work I would - it is very hard to manage on the benefit payments and I would love a source of income that would pay me more.

Has anyone else had the same experience and if so what was the outcome? I must admit that it's left me really worried.
Hi
i read your post and had to write back as i am on IB i had to go for a return to work interview a couple of weeks ago the guy who interviewed me had not heard of sle lupus said he would have to look it up, during the interview i was in so much pain with my hands that i was feeling sick he finnished by asking me was their any chance i would like to do basket weaving at college so at least i would be doing something,i just smiled at him and thought what a tosser.
Anyway hope you get sorted and i know the worry you are having, good luck sandy

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Eva-L :hello:

I have been on IB for about 7 years now. Going back a few years (i think it was the 2nd time i had to go for the medical) i had this doctor that i just knew from walking in that he wasn't listening to me, every time i started to answer one of his questions he would cut me off and start asking me another.

Part way thru the medical he asked me what i could and couldn't do, one of the things he asked me to do was pick a pen up from the floor, which i actually did in front of him.

When i had finished the medical i walked out feeling very disappointed as i knew it hadn't gone well, my mum had come in with me and she totally agreed with what i was saying.

When my results of the medical came thru, he had said i was fit for work, back then you needed 15 points to qualify for IB, not sure if its still the same now. This doctor had only awarded me 3 points and that was for not being able to pick a pen up off the floor :wall: i couldn't believe the outcome.

I appealed against the results and also wrote a letter of complaint about this doctor, luckily the outcome was over turned and they awarded me enough points to qualify for IB, as for the letter of complaint i am not too sure what happened to that cos i never got a reply. It did take nearly 5 months for me to get the appeal over turned but they did give me back pay for the money that i had missed out on since the medical.

If the medical you had doesn't go your way then you must appeal immediately but i will be keeping my fingers crossed :fingers: for you and please let us know how you got on when you hear from them.

:luck: GOOD LUCK :luck:

Take care :bunny: Jo :bunny:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lin;518635 said:
Just read your letter, had to read it again cos im tired, but no i havnt had anything like that happen, but how dare they ytell you about your meds, i would be telling my rheym at once...

Lin xxxx
Hi Lin,

My very first thought when I got home was to make an appt with my GP to discuss it all with him but in the end I didn't as I thought I would wait and see what happens. I don't actually have a rheumy at the moment as my GP thinks that we are managing things well enough between us! :) He is *very* supportive though and if there is a problem I'm sure he would be able to help.

Eva x

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sandy123;518649 said:
Hi
i read your post and had to write back as i am on IB i had to go for a return to work interview a couple of weeks ago the guy who interviewed me had not heard of sle lupus said he would have to look it up, during the interview i was in so much pain with my hands that i was feeling sick he finnished by asking me was their any chance i would like to do basket weaving at college so at least i would be doing something,i just smiled at him and thought what a tosser.
Anyway hope you get sorted and i know the worry you are having, good luck sandy
Wow! I could understand a doc having not heard of uv but surely he should have heard of sle? I have yet to meet a doc who hasn't heard of that and have at least a basic knowledge of what's involved - that's awful!

I take it that you haven't heard anything yet then? I was told that it takes between two and six weeks to advise what their decision is and it's been 5 weeks now with no news. Although after the last ones I never heard anything either, they just continued to pay the benefit. Just keeping my fingers crossed really as we could not manage to pay the bills if my IB was stopped.

I would quite happily do something if it would pay more than IB and be guaranteed to stay available even if I went through a longer down phase where doing anything at all is hard. But how many employers want to take on someone who will cost them money through paying sick leave all the time? Most employers want staff who will be productive and reliable. At the moment if I go with hubby to do the shopping I have to sleep for 2/3 hours to recover, which is a tricky one to get around when talking to prospective employers! :lol:

Before I got ill I was a professional dance instructor and when it became obvious that I could no longer do this I retrained so that I could work in web and graphic design but in the end I lost the very good job I had because I struggled to keep up even though they were good enough to let me work from home part time. My employer was truly wonderful and did everything they could to help me stay working but in the end it was not cost effective for them. I tried really hard to find another job but once you tell people you are on IB they don't want to know.

Just waiting to see what happens next. . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bugsy;518661 said:
Hi Eva-L :hello:

I have been on IB for about 7 years now. Going back a few years (i think it was the 2nd time i had to go for the medical) i had this doctor that i just knew from walking in that he wasn't listening to me, every time i started to answer one of his questions he would cut me off and start asking me another.

Part way thru the medical he asked me what i could and couldn't do, one of the things he asked me to do was pick a pen up from the floor, which i actually did in front of him.

When i had finished the medical i walked out feeling very disappointed as i knew it hadn't gone well, my mum had come in with me and she totally agreed with what i was saying.

When my results of the medical came thru, he had said i was fit for work, back then you needed 15 points to qualify for IB, not sure if its still the same now. This doctor had only awarded me 3 points and that was for not being able to pick a pen up off the floor :wall: i couldn't believe the outcome.

I appealed against the results and also wrote a letter of complaint about this doctor, luckily the outcome was over turned and they awarded me enough points to qualify for IB, as for the letter of complaint i am not too sure what happened to that cos i never got a reply. It did take nearly 5 months for me to get the appeal over turned but they did give me back pay for the money that i had missed out on since the medical.

If the medical you had doesn't go your way then you must appeal immediately but i will be keeping my fingers crossed :fingers: for you and please let us know how you got on when you hear from them.

:luck: GOOD LUCK :luck:

Take care :bunny: Jo :bunny:
Hi Jo
I'm sorry to hear that you went through so much hassle, I really do think it is luck of the draw when it comes to who conducts the exam. The previous time I was barely in there for 10 minutes when the doctor said that he felt it would be a waste of time to continue when it was obvious that I couldn't do much at all and after a chat with his superior he came back and told me that I wouldn't need another interview for at least two years. I am worse this time but somehow I felt that that didn't count for much. I was interviewed for over an hour and although the doctor was nice enough on the surface it was obvious that he was unprepared to take what I said about my illness at face value, and questioned every single drug I take, why I take it and what the side effects are, then got his drug directory out and looked them all up and commented that there must be alternatives that would lessen the side effects. . .

Putting aside his cavalier attitude of thinking he knows better than the experts, I think one of the most shocking things was his suggestion that I should give up my anti-seizure drugs because they cause short term memory problems. When I have a seizure I lose consciousness and stop breathing - there is no way on earth that I am going to go back to taking that kind of risk! Apart from anything else if I stop taking those meds I can no longer drive, and whilst I cannot drive for long journeys it would mean giving up a huge chunk of my independence as we live somewhere rural! How could someone in the medical profession even think that this was a good idea??? :eek: Bizarrely it seemed based on the fact that I haven't had a seizure for 4 years - surely that's because I take anti-seizure drugs??? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry to be honest! :sad:

I came away feeling both angry and depressed, and I think over the last 5 weeks it has really got me down. Whilst I completely understand that the government has to weed out the fraudsters from those genuinely in need, it does seem to be that these days *anyone* claiming benefit is seen as trying to get something for nothing. I worked hard and paid my taxes for almost 30 years before claiming a single penny in benefit and yet somehow I came away feeling like I was a fraud. :mad:

Well I guess I got that off my chest! :rotfl:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re Benefits

Dear All.
Have just been reading your letters, and to the last reply here here...very well put! that in these doc's that meet you just the once have no idea what we have to go through everyday, (if only they could have lupus just for one day) i think that the system stinks in the south, as you say i know that there are so many people claiming and not always that ill, or have nothing wrong with them and still claim.
I think that there must be another way of protecting the one's that are genuine and need to claim, they need to find a way to stop treating us all as though we are trying to claim on the sly,they need to somehow sift these people out, although i don't know how :sad:
I know i'm venting and going on but, when i was told that i had Lupus Discoid Lupus etc etc i was told to claim D.L.A, and not having ever claimed a penny in the whole of my 45yrs didn't know where to start.
I calimed it 3 times and was refused all 3 times :mad: then i was told to go to court and appeal, sure enough i did and won my case :lol: and got the claim backdated for a year, and am now worse and have care everyday, so then my claim went to the highest rate of both componants, my point being that as if you don't feel bad enough with this illness, you don't and should not have to go through all that just to claim 1 benifits that you are entitaled to.
I have now been claiming this for 2 yrs and have received a letter from d.l.a saying that my benefit will be paid to me indefinatley, what ever that means??????? i suspect that they will want to see me for a medical at some stage, well thay don't even wanna go into what meds i take in a day :rotfl:.
Lets hope that when my husband (bless him, very supportive) wheels me into the room they may well think twice about my reveiw!!!!
So sorry that i have had a rant, but the system really gets to me, then you go into hospital and here people chatting about the benefits they get and oh how they cleim £800 per month??? where do they get that amount from??
Anyways i'v had my rant now, and thank you for reading this.
I hope that you all get to feeling a little better, and don't let the system get you!
Love and hugs to you all
Kindest regards
Debbi
:) oxoxoxo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
debbieyeates22;520214 said:
Dear All.
Have just been reading your letters, and to the last reply here here...very well put! that in these doc's that meet you just the once have no idea what we have to go through everyday, (if only they could have lupus just for one day) i think that the system stinks in the south, as you say i know that there are so many people claiming and not always that ill, or have nothing wrong with them and still claim.
I think that there must be another way of protecting the one's that are genuine and need to claim, they need to find a way to stop treating us all as though we are trying to claim on the sly,they need to somehow sift these people out, although i don't know how :sad:
I know i'm venting and going on but, when i was told that i had Lupus Discoid Lupus etc etc i was told to claim D.L.A, and not having ever claimed a penny in the whole of my 45yrs didn't know where to start.
I calimed it 3 times and was refused all 3 times :mad: then i was told to go to court and appeal, sure enough i did and won my case :lol: and got the claim backdated for a year, and am now worse and have care everyday, so then my claim went to the highest rate of both componants, my point being that as if you don't feel bad enough with this illness, you don't and should not have to go through all that just to claim 1 benifits that you are entitaled to.
I have now been claiming this for 2 yrs and have received a letter from d.l.a saying that my benefit will be paid to me indefinatley, what ever that means??????? i suspect that they will want to see me for a medical at some stage, well thay don't even wanna go into what meds i take in a day :rotfl:.
Lets hope that when my husband (bless him, very supportive) wheels me into the room they may well think twice about my reveiw!!!!
So sorry that i have had a rant, but the system really gets to me, then you go into hospital and here people chatting about the benefits they get and oh how they cleim £800 per month??? where do they get that amount from??
Anyways i'v had my rant now, and thank you for reading this.
I hope that you all get to feeling a little better, and don't let the system get you!
Love and hugs to you all
Kindest regards
Debbi
:) oxoxoxo
I know *exactly* what you mean! I live in the South too and I just feel like I am banging my head against a wall. I have just spent 40 minutes on the phone to the regional office trying to get someone to send me a copy of my assessment report so that I can see my GP and start to make my case for a reconsideration. I have been waiting since the 8th for this and this morning the person I spoke to told me cheerfully that it can take up to 28 days!!!!!! Given that you only get a month to put in your request for a reconsideration this is outrageous and obviously a deliberate ploy to keep people from getting their benefit reinstated.

I asked for the supervisor to call me back and she had to admit that they have really messed me about and they say that the report should be with me on Monday or Tuesday, but I've no real confidence in that happening right now. It's going to leave me a very tight window to get an appt with my GP and sort out sending in my letter stating my case.

The stress of all this is just making me more ill - I have had two asthma attacks in the last week and I'm having lots of urticaria outbreaks and chest pain, plus I am not sleeping. Luckily for me my bank has been really sympathetic and is prepared to help me out in the short term provided things don't take too long to sort out.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
How dreadful...as if we dont have enough to put up with...

asking soemone to pick a pen up...i know where i would have told him to put that pen !..

How can some person who doesnt know you from adam asses you...
It should purely go on your own Consultants etc and medical records...
This Goverment grrrr..stop picking on people who are genuine and go for people who can work....but just dont want to !..

Hope the decision is good if not appeal my love x x

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The report finally arrived this morning which doesn't leave me much time to sort out my response. I need to read it again more carefully but one thing that jumped out at me is that in the doctor's opinion my condition is one that 'responds well to medical treatment and should show signs of significant improvement in the next 12 months. I strongly disagree with the patient's claim that this is a debilitating illness, her health is likely to improve not get worse.'

That would explain why I am significantly more ill than when I saw someone for my last assessment then! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I'm sorry ((((( Eva ))))) It is monumentally awful. I was talking to somebody who is indeed very ill by any standards, getting chemo for cancer recurrence which will probably kill her before very long. There are times when she does need a lot of help and other times she is normally active, but she gets disability simply by virtue of having cancer and undergoing treatment.

Many hugs
Clare

1 - 12 of 12 Posts