The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Let me make a long story short. The inside of my elbow (area where they would draw blood) has had a tiny, pea size, hard lump there for about 6+ months. Not painful, did not move around and I thought it was just a calcium deposit or fatty little cyst under the skin.....sorta like a lypoma. (spelling?)

This past Tuesday it appeared to start swelling in this area, sorta like a swollen lymph node. It swelled to approximately the size of a golf ball.

Fast forward to this morning the swelling is getting bigger and is moving down towards my elbow bone. It is my left arm, not my dominant arm. Last week it seemed the lymph glands in my throat were all swollen and now this.

Does Lupus cause our lymph glands to swell in ugly proportions?

Any insight that anyone could provide would be most helpful. I do have a doctors appointment set up for the 24th with a Hematologist. The reason for this is because my GP wants me to go there since I have been seen by this guy before in 2005 for abnormal T cells that turned out to be nothing.

As always, Thank You all!!!:wink2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Karol,

I have always been told if any lumps suddenly change size or shape it is best to get them checked out. So if you can make an appointment to see your GP.

My Lupus was diagnosed because some of my Lymphnodes were massively swollen so they thought I had lymphoma but it turned out to be Lupus so yes Lupus can cause lymphnode to swell but please do get it looked at by your GP.

Always better to be safe than sorry

K

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Karol

I don't know about what is happening with your arm but I would most certainly try and get an appointment with your GP just to be on the safe side.

Hope it's not giving you too much discomfort :hugbetter:

Let us know how things go.

Take Care
Mrs M;)

·
Registered
391 Posts
KarolH,
Hello, nice to meet you. I agree with Mrs. M. You need to make an appointment immediately with your GP. Lumps and bumps have different origins and take different methods to determine pathology. The swelling and movement indicate change in status. Please get this checked right away.

Concerned,
Michelle

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I do have a appt. to get this checked next week, however, I need to know if this is a common occurence with Lupus?:worried::worried::worried:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Karol,

I think the short answer is no, this is not a normal lupus thing. I'm not even aware of lymph nodes in the hook of the arm - I guess there must be some, but it isn't a usual place for a swollen lymph node.

All the best with the doctors appointment.

X C X

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Karol
I'm with Cath on this.
I don't know that there are lymph nodes there.
Have you had blood drawn did you say? Could it be an infected abcess from that do you think?
Let us know what doc says.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies.

We do have lymph nodes there and everywhere all over our bodies.

I do not think this is a infection.

It is not red or hot to the touch.

Just Giant...:worried:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi

Lymph nodes are spread out throughout the body, so you are quite right they are in the arm.

I have a lump in the bend of my right arm that has got larger over the last year or so. I mention it every time I have blood taken but nobody seems to give it much attention. I assume that it is a cyst, as at times it can be very painful.

I would be concerned that it is moving! I hope that you have your appointment with your GP sooner rather than later and that they can sort it out for you!

Regards

Star

·
Registered
893 Posts
With or without lupus we do and can get lumps bumps and illnesses.

If you did not have lupus then I expect ironically you would be up the docs like a shot....

Your arm may not look angry or infected but I suspect it is exactly what a GP not your haematologist would expect you to come in and have a look at.

If it is an infection........ you dont want the infection worsening.

In all the time I have been on this site I have never heard of your description.

Nicky:)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
personally i would say no, this is not a lupus thing. Swollen lymph nodes are really really common with lupus, but as lupus is a systemic disease ALL the nodes enlarge, rather than just one particular node. I am covered with enlarged painless lymph nodes in places that I never new even HAD lymph nodes (behind the knees for example). But, they are entirely painless, and they are very numerous. Actually I have one particular lymph node at the base of my neck that I am rather fond of, and when I am in a dreamy mood I sort of roll it around under my finger (weird I know).Once I had one lymph node swell dramatically (golf ball size) and the doctor said it was related to infection - it was years ago, and I can't remember if the lymph node itself was infected (is this even possible?) or if I had a related infection that had enlarged the node. It was under my chin, and was as you describe, golf ball size. I know I was put on antibiotics, that much I do remember.sounds like you are doing the right thing in having this checked, keep us posted about what you find outcheersraglet

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, thanks for all your replies.

I am guessing that this is NOT Lupus.

I will keep you all posted as to how things progress here.

I hope you all enjoy your weekend.:wink2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello...just want you to know that I have bumps under my arms, in my stomach and the bend of my left elbow as well. I have been diagnosed with subacute cutaneous lupus, lupus profundus and SLE. I went to my Dermy this past week. He thought maybe my bump in the bend of my arem could be some tendonitis. I agree with everyone else though, you need to go to your doctor and let him diagnos you. Lupus profundus effect about 5% of the lupus population so is relatively rare. I was diagnosed with a biopsy and removal of one of the lumps. It is not uncommon in the rarest of forms to have very large lumps and bumps. I am going through a flare right now myself where the bumps are quite painful. I spend a lot of time on a heating pad or rice bags. Hope this is helpful to you. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I really think you are doing the right thing to go to the doctor. These extra symptoms you don't want to avoid. There are things they can do to make you feel better!

Tricia

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tricia,

Thanks so much for your reply.
Good to know I am not alone in this craziness.
It does seem strange that for so long it was a rock hard, pea sized lump.
Now it is like a darn lemon.......weird.

I will let you all know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts