The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Hi and welcome back,

I'm sorry you are still unwell and I hope they get to the bottom of all this for you very soon.

Each case will have a different cause and effect as to why these test results may show up in an individual. Having the liver problems would probably be of some significance as to why you have some of this abnormal testing.

The only one I have had experience with is the deficiency in IgG3 subset early on in the course of my disease. My Immunologist discovered it on initial testing. It's related to chronic respiratory problems such as sinusitis and pneumonitis quite often. That had not been the case for me but I did have a lot of other infections after a surgery some 2 years previously. The result led to further testing which found I had a very very low Vitamin D level. Once that was corrected with supplementation the IgG3 and the Vitamin D level came back up and has stayed that way. So in a way it was a red herring throwing him off the track but something that did need to be fixed.

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? It's connected to parathyroid and whilst a normal level of PTH is a normal level whether it be close to the bottom end of the scale or the higher end there could be a connection with Vitamin D.

I know little about the low level of IgG1 but as far as the raised level of IgG4 a few references on the net mentioned it is found in Autoimmune Pancreatitis and also in Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (autoimmune liver). Of course there may be other reasons for it too, I did not look extensively and these sorts of tests need expert interpretation in light of symptoms and clinical history.

Which doctor is looking after all this for you and if it's several are they communicating with each other? Have you seen an Immunologist?

The Pancreatitis is a horrid problem from what I have read and I do hope that you have good doctors who are trying to work with you on this :hug:

love
Lily

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Hi,

You do have a lot going on and it sounds confusing to say the least. Are they just treating with Pred because of the Pancreatitis? Have they offered any other treatment options at this stage?

Does the Vit D deficiency (I've had that a long time) and high normal PTH and immunoglobulin abnormalities fit with SLE? I know this pancreatitis thing is rare for SLE, but can happen as initial event. I don't know about liver involvement.
Some of us are deficient in Vitamin D but that could be for various reasons not directly related to having SLE. They are not sure why I was although I had extremely dry skin and am allergic to eggs and fish, so maybe that contributed. Are your levels coming back up with treatment?

High normal PTH levels are not associated with Lupus. Yours are probably on the high end of normal in an effort to raise your Vitamin D level, that's how it works.

Liver involvement with Lupus can happen but it's not that common as a direct result of the disease. However certain meds can certainly contribute to raised liver enzymes.

http://www.lupusuk.org.uk/lupusandtheliver.asp

Being on Pred (if you were at the time of these tests) would skew a lot of the results so I would not pay too much attention to them as far as working out what is going on. Especially the IgG results.

love
Lily

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.