The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've been on a low dose of Imuran for 2 weeks and just had my first lot of bloods done. I am a bit confused on what you do when you get colds etc? It's that time of year where my daughter brings them home. The nurse said to contact GP when you show signs of infection but does that include little things like colds and sore throats?
Also when do youi know it is working and doing something? My hubby keeps asking me. I think he was hoping I 'd start taking it I'd be cartwheeling down the road instantly :bounce:
Any info about this drug will help.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there :)

As far as the odd cold or sniffle is concerned you don't need to "do" anything in particular other than look after yourself as you would normally for a cold. You do need to be careful to watch that it doesn't turn into an infection and go to the doctor if you think it is getting worse.

Imuran usually takes about 6-8 weeks to start working in any "visible" way. Its effect can then go on to improve further over time - like most lupus drugs it works over the long-term.

I don't know about cartwheels :lol: but I did see a BIG difference when it kicked in.

Katharine

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
i it took around 3 months for me to see any chnge, we are all i know different, now as for the cold and sore throat, my gp says you must get down here to us if you get sore throat, just giving you my advice i was given

best wishes with the new drug lin xxxxxxxxxx

·
11,410 Posts
Hi,

I am on methotrexate and was told to err on the caution side when I come down with a cold, sore throat etc. Better to get checked out sooner rather later.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was told not to stop the Imuran (or MTX when I took that) unless I came down with an aggressive infection. So, I wouldn't stop it unless I was told to. I did in fact have a brochial infection last spring but didn't have any trouble getting rid of it with antibiotics. And as you've been told, colds and other minor illnesses can be treated like before you were on these meds.

It took two months to feel the benefits of Imuran and continued to get better during the third month. Some people take less time, or longer, but it is a great drug for many of us. Good luck.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi , I took Imuran for at least 3 years, and tolerated it quite well. My rhumy was very consistant with blood tests. My liver enzymes elevated to 250( 35 is normal) so I had to stop the Imuran. I was very disappointed because the Imuran made me feel better and slowed the progression of the Lupus in my Lungs. I did'nt have problems with being exposed to illness or infections. Be sure to have regular blood tests. Best Wishes, Rosie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.