The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know what to do, i adopted a 10 year old dog from a nearby pound and now that its too late i found out he had fleas. now my other 2 dogs have it as well.

my house is also infested:sad::sad:. i know i have to bomb my house with fleas and tick repelent. but i dont know what to do about the dogs. i have tried to give them baths with flea and tick shampoo, also bought frontline flea and tick monthly solution. but nothing has worked so far.

i called the groomer and she charges 180 dollars to give them a bath solution but that is too expensive for me any ideas. need your help. thanks

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sushi,
Go to your vet, get "Revolution treatment" for the 3 dogs and apply it immediately. I put on gloves to put these on my animals. I don't want to battle the chemicals getting through my skin.
Also, ask your vet for a "bomb" to use on your home. Be prepared that you will have to wash down everything that has gotten the residue on it. So, maybe have friends help you to do the cleanup from the bomb. You will do well to vacuum daily to get all the fleas up and out of your carpet . If your vacuum has a bag, set in a supply of them and put on a new one after you vacuum. Then, seal the full bag in a plastic bag with a knot on the top so nothing can get in or out, and put the sealed bag in the trash. If you have a bagless machine, make sure you dump the canister out, outside, after each time you use it. Ask your vet when you should see results.
Good luck!
Sally

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Pink Pearl, i know i must take care of this but the vet is going to charge me alot of money for 3 dogs and i just cant afford it right now.

i hope theres something else i can do that wont hurt my budget.

:):)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

You can get revolution, or anyother topical flea/tick killer at you local pet supermaket or petco. These are based on the animals weight, so make sure you get the right one...too little wont work too much will make your pet sick. They also have bombs that will work as well.

The issue with fleas is that its not the flea, its all the eggs...they can lay dormant for a long time...to kill them for sure you will need to re-apply the household treatment 10-15 days after initial treatment, to kill any remaining eggs and fleas that hatched after the treatment.

With the topical solution, fleas will still jump on your pet, however once they bite the animal they die as the toxin is in the blood.

Also your yard should be trated as well...as the flease can live outdoors and breed as well...there are simple sprays that are appiled using your garden hose.

If you can treat the house, wash their bedding and apply topical, you should see the issue resolved in 10 - 15 days....

I never bring a pet into the house before treating for fleas....a flea dip (which is applied while the pet is standing in a tub) is the quickest way to de-flea the animal, but topicals still keep them flea free for up to 30 days.

The house is the hardest...caould you call around for an exterminator (small guys in the phone book are usually cheaper) they can come and treat the house and yard...here they charge about $60, but its immediately noticable and there is no clean-up issue as with a bomb.

Stephanie

·
Registered
87 Posts
I didn't have animals at the time, but I moved into an apartment that was infested with fleas...the way I had to get rid of them was to [flea] bomb every 7 days for 4 or 5 weeks. Vaccuum after each bomb and then throw that bag away. Eggs take 5 to 7 days to hatch, so if you bomb every 7, they don't have time to mature enough to lay more eggs and hatch. At the end of the 5 weeks, the problem was solved with the house. The only thing is to bomb the animals need to be out of the house for a few hours. Pick as much stuff up off the floor as you can (luckily I moved from Las Vegas to Sacramento in a Geo Metro...I had no furniture!! LOL) Check the bombs to find out how many you will need for your house.

I've know I've heard really good things about Resolve.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you florie, i called the pound and they gave me the silent treatment.
meaning no help at all. you would think that they would be able to help.

i went to petco. and met this nice girl that works there and she told me exactly what to do. i bombed the house with the fogger. and put another dose of frontline on my dogs.

she also told me to put a small bowl of water and soap in each rm in my house because the fleas are attracted to this. the next morning i only found
1 flea in one of the bowls.

so that proof to me that i did have a problem. she also told me to repeat this in 2and a half months. thanks you all. youve given me good advise.:):)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Sorry Sushi that the pound gave you the silent treatment. Isn't it nice that you were kind enough to save a dog and yet here you have a problem and now they don't want to deal with you at all.:mad::mad::mad:

I am a rebel so my advice must be taken with a grain of salt but it would be my mission to not only rid your place of flees but also stand out side that pound with a sign saying Get ready for flees to invade your home.:lol::lol:

All joking aside I sure hope you get this problem under control. I was going to suggest the soap and water thing but you already know. Good luck and keep us posted.:wink2:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ooohhhh, thank you Karol, that was really funny:lol::lol:. so far after bombing my house and reapplying frontline on my dogs everything seems flea quiet for now.:lol::lol:

i know that its to early to declare victory but im keeping an eye out. i know its very hard to get rid of them. i cleaned my house throughly after the bombs with my husbands help.

(how r u. i hope everyone is doing good these days) Always thinking about you all. Lydia:):)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I am glad your hubby is helping you Lydia, he is a good guy.;)

How am I doing,.....ONE DAY AT A TIME! Seems to be working too.:lol:

Thanks for asking and sure hope your weekend was good.

Keep your chin up and eyes open too looking for those nasty, crumb munching fleas to come back and start acting up again.:wink2:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, i agree Karol im keeping an eye out for these pesty fleas to come out and invade my pets and home again.:lol::lol:

im glad to hear youre ok and taking it one day at a time.... thats exactly what everyone taught me on this site ONE DAY AT A TIME!

the problem now is not the fleas i think the problem is under control for now.

my dogs skin has been irritated so bad now that they scratch so much during the day and even wake me up at night.. i really dont know what to do about this. any suggestions to help them sooth.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Oatmeal bath....you can buy it at most pharmacies or grocery stores...just like us it soothes the skin

Stephanie

·
11,410 Posts
You can find oatmeal shampoo at your local pet store.(I bought some at petco) My groomer says to dilute the shampoo with water. Put in half shampoo in any bottle then fill the rest up with water. You get just as much suds at using it full strength. Plus it last twice as long.:hehe:

That itchy skin is miserable.:dog:

Hope you get it all cleared up.
Love,
Lyn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.