The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:newhere:

Hi... I wanted to ask for some advice..
I'm moving in 2 weeks because I'm separating from my husband, he's long gone, so I've been doing all the packing myself, I have hired a mover for obvious heavy stuff, but finances are forcing me to transfer a lot of the 'little stuff' a lot of boxes etc. on my own...

Most of my small dysfunctional family is in 'crisis' modes of their own. I haven't even told them about my diagnosis MCTD as of 8/8/08 because of their own turmoil. So not a lot of help avail from them for awhile...

So I would like to know is, will the 'over-doing-it' such as lifting, stairs, general heavy activity, moving boxes etc, necessarily mean I will 'flare'. My activity in relation to my pain level is still unclear for me...

The more I do, the worse the flare ?? Is that how it goes ?

I understand everyone is diff, but can anyone give me some insight ?

I have rheumy appt to discuss future planning for this disease but I see her 'after' this move and she is not a chatty one on the phone because "she doesn't know me that well".... talk about a catch-22 !
Thank you so much....

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Blue,

Everyone is differenct and has differet limmitations, so I can't promise this will work for you, only share my experience.

I find that for myself it isn't so much what I do as how much. So I can lift a box of books to the car, even several, but I couldn't do it all day without suffering. For me it is about pacing - doing a bit, resting, doing a bit more. In an ideal world I am relatively active for 4-6 hours per day, and the rest of the time I rest.

So, if you can move slowly - not everything in one day, but a bit every day over the whole 2 weeks. Maybe one carload per day packed, loaded up, driven to your new home and unloaded and that's it for that day. I don't know how you'll cope, but being busy like that from dawn til late in the evening is too much in my opinion. If you have no option but to rush, then at least schedule regular breaks. Take the kettle and mugs to your new home, and a comfy chair (garden chair maybe?) so you can sit and have a drink between lifting boxes.

Other tips:

Buy/borrow or rent a cart so you are pulling the loads on wheels not carrying them. It will be worth every dollar.

Use gloves, preferably padded ones to protect painful finger tendons from sharp box edges and heavy bag straps.

Eat and drink regularly (it's easy to forget and just to barge on)

Take the easy option wherever possible, so if there is a lift use it, buy ready made meals for a while instead of cooking, even disposable plates and cutlery if that helps you...

You can expect to be exhausted at the end of it all - even healthy people are, so if possible schedule a break - a few days holiday where you just shut the door and rest - after the move is complete.

And all the best:p

X C X

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I'd just like to agree with Cath here. For someone who suffers quite a lot from muscle weakness I too can do things like lift a box or two (probably not the few) but the amount of time and not going all out is really really important.

That actually goes for everything with me including translating. Not the best idea if I do one of my knuckle down sessions. I have to kind of remind myself - hey you've done four hours, enough for today! that way I can come back the next day.

I am also terrified of moving again (I have done it an awful lot in my life) and firstly said to my hubby that no we could not buy a new house as no, I did not EVER want to move again! Unfortunately we really can't stay in this house which was bought for three and has no garage or outbuildings. We need to find something for the six of us and hubby's business which requires a garage and workshop.

good luck with the move and please do find some way of pacing yourself,
Katharine

·
Registered
549 Posts
hi

yes tootaly agree if you can split it up in days good idear

there has been so many days when i think i am allright and then after it its bad if anything i have learned the hard way is to slow down

if you can get help i would ask friends anyone some times they don,t realise untill you say every one is so busy with ther own lifes i know but some times you have to ask anyway you might be surprized
take care tink

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for opinions, ideas and support. I appreciate it greatly. Pacing and planning sounds like a good way to approach, well, life I guess..
I felt kind of silly asking such questions, I feel like I'm in kindergarten :lol: but lately everyday presents more questions and concerns. I don't want to let this diag change too much of my life too fast.. I'm afraid of over-doing at work and such, but petrified to stop... I plan to work to find that happy-medium, by journaling, counseling and reaching out a little at a time. I think you prolly know what I mean...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts