TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was hit by a learner on a motor scooter whilst turning to go onto my dad's drive, compleatly the scooter driver's fault!!! He was very appologtic and I drove him to hospital as it looked like he had broke his hand. (this was confirmed) I accepted his appology, told him not to worry, and then made sure his scooter was safe until he could pick it up.
this morning I recieved a letter from his soliciter informing me that I am BEING SUED:eek::eek:
Shocked is not the word:mad:

I am so mad right now I am physically shaking.

Elle x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oh my!!!!!

I think I too would be more than mad :mad: Words don't really decribe what I'd be.

I am lucky to have a friendly lawyer to hand who is really not a nice person if you're on the wrong side of him. I'm sure that you too have contacted a solicitor.

You really don't need such stressors - in fact, maybe you could sue back for undue stress affecting your health???? In any case, you need to get a solicitor (they're not always as expensive as we think) and then banish the whole thing totally from your mind and let him deal with it - I know, might be odd advice but that's what I've done with my health insurance court case as if I thought about it, it would eat me up bit by bit.

hugs :hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
467 Posts
how rude

hi elle

the nerve of some people. do you have any witnesses. it seems like no good deed goes unpunished. this type of action is why people don't ever want to get involved. i think it was very kind of you to take him to the hospital and to then be sued!:eek: i would be hoppin mad :hissy:

what exactly is this person sueing you for, if you don't mind my asking.

i'm so sorry this has happened to you
go punch a pillow then have some tea, maybe you'll feel better.

take care
hugs and kisses

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thats the pits after your good samaritan bit"!

Elle, do you think that as you were at your dads and thus local that you had witnesses?.

The impact assessment might help, ie if they can see where you were and he was verses damage.

Its not only rude behaviour but heartless to come back at you liek that.

Wonder if he has had bad advice in the long run.

Hope so.

·
Registered
647 Posts
:scratch: Ok, well perhaps things are different on "that side of the pond", but here I would think that the insurance company would be handling this. Is the solicitor/attorney that contacted you representing the scooter drivers insurance company? Is it different in the UK?

In the US, if I was involved in any kind of injury accident involving my car, I would turn the whole matter over to my vehicle insurance carrier and quit worrying about it. Now my curiosity is peaked.

Poor thing, you being such a good samaritan and all, taking him to the hospital. What a creep! I would be spitting nails in your shoes, I would be so angry.

We can all send the little so-and-so bad vibes for you, and calm, loving ones for you. Your health is too important to waste any energy on this. :calm:

Be Well

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Katharine, I like that idea:) I think sueing him back might teach him a lesson !!!
I informed my insurance company who have been fantastic and they are sticking by my version of events. the impact of the bike was on my door so I was well into the turn before he hit me which doesn't tally with his version of events at all. (He is claiming that I turned suddenly without any indication and he was already overtaking me when I began the turn) so hopefully it might not go very far. There were no witnesses to the event but he did admit to my dad's next door neighbour that it was his fault.
tbunny - I don't think that the solicitors are the same as his insurance company. I am pretty sure that they are acting independantly.
Thanks for all the good vibes. I am going to take the advice and stop worrying about it all.

Hugs

Elle x

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Elle,
Sorry to hear about this. Definitely switch off from the worry of it. In my experience your Insurers will have your best interests at heart and be very active on your account. Also if you do need extra support and are a Member of the AA, their legal section is very helpful.

Someone once reversed their car off a hardstanding into the side of my car when I was stationary at Traffic Lights. It is a bit of a shock when something like this happens and all the time your car is damaged you are reminded of it.

Take Care,
x Lola

·
florie
589 Posts
Oh my god ! The nerve of this guy. Was he drunk or something?
At least you have your dad's neighbor as a witness to what he admitted to him. Don't let it get to you. Some people are sue happy, i don't know what he thinks he's going to get out of this. But if he was learning to ride this scooter than obviously he needed more training.:lol:

Florie

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh, I had almost the same thing happen to me years ago. I was stopped to turn left, with my signal on and a guy on a motorcycle decided to go around me. He hit my front panel and went flying across the road. He was okay. He later phoned me (stoned) and say he was sorry it was all his fault, that the thought I was turning right. This was right in front of a bridge as well...where you shouldn't be passing anyone!...Next thing I know he tells the insurance company a completely different story. What is itj with these people! I was young adult at the time, so my Dad had to get his lawyer involved. Since we have no-fault insurance here (I don't recommend it), I ended up with 75% of the estimated damages. Better than nothing, but he was still 100% responsible in my eyes.

So, hang in there Elle...it will all work out.

Annette

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Hi, this is bad news to say the least. I hope that you have some form of a witness as you are going to need them. Let us know how things turn out, Oh and good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts