TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i hope everyones doing well. as most of you know i dont have medical insurance. and i cant get assistance because my husband makes too much money.

i missed my appt. 2 weeks ago because i cant afford the blood work its outrageously expensive. the doctors visit is not that expensive at all just 80 dollars a visit. but when it comes to the blood work they charge me about 1,000 for all the tests that i need.

im so confused right now i dont know what to do. should i call my gp and explain this all to them. do you think theyll be able to help me out?

this is all making me very depressed right now. im so sorry for the rant but you guys are the only ones who really understand me.:sad::sad::cry::cry::cry2::cry2:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
HI Sushi,

I'm sorry you are feeling rotten:(.

You answered your own question I think:blush: - yes calling the doctor and explaining the situation is a very good idea. The doctor may wel be able to be much more selective about which tests he orders for you and which to leave. For example an ANA is really not needed - it doesn't change your diagnosis, and it doesn't indicate disease activity.

I reckon that a full blood count, urea and elecrolytes and liver function tests, plus a urine dipstick are essential, but these tests are much cheaper than the complicated antibody tests.

It is important that you do get medical care. Studies show that those who do less well are those who have the worst access to health care. It needs to be a priority in the family budget. On the other hand making sensible cost cutting decisions is something the doctor should be able to do for you.

So, you are on the right track! Give yourself a pat on the back, and phone....

Take care,

X C X

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Helloo sushi

I'm very sorry about your dilemma and agree you should have a word with your doctor. No doubt he has a number of patients in a similar situation
What tests are 'essential' at any given time would depend on a number of things: does the disease seem under control or are there symptoms of worsening or possible new symptoms; what medicines are being taken; how the lupus is affecting the person; how long since the last tests; what the doctor suggests knowing your case and the financial constraints; what other medical conditions need treating.
Lupus wise, and in the absence of new problems, I suppose I would plump for a urine test, CBC, liver function every six months. If I had to choose only one it would be the urine test. I would bust a gut to have the lot done once a year and build up an emergency fund

Times are increasingly hard :( for us all. I've been thinking a lot how I can economise. Everybody's so very different, but for us the most obvious thing has been to cut back on the quantities of food rather than the quality and cut out certain categories, drink/s apart from coffee and tea. We have both stopped smoking now. Of course it all depends where you are starting from. I think I'll start a thread about it. But I do think it has to be a family effort or certainly should be. We tend to sacrifice our own needs for other family members, especially our children. We often feel guilty about having health issues anyway and hate to ask others for help.

But yes, call your doctor, or write to him first so he can have a think about it, then call. Let us know how you get on

Very good Luck and hugs
Clare

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Sushi,
You have showed concern for me with my recent worries and I am sorry to hear of yours.
I agree with you blood work is very expensive and there is no shame in not being able to afford it.
I think Cath has given you excellent advice about your Doc. being more selective in the bloods he asks for.
I am sorry you have to constantly struggle with the cost of this as if being ill isn't enough!
xLola

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes cath thats exactly what im going to do ask my gp and see what she advises me.

all your opinions mean alot to me. and you always make so much sense when i have a question. i thank god for this site everyday. stay well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Sushi,

I can't add any more than what has been recommended already, but I wanted to let you know how bad I feel for you. I'm not sure where you are from, but it is a terrible postion to be.

We complain about our health care here in Canada, but that's one thing we can be grateful for is that everyone (for the most part) is insured under our system for all necessary treatments and tests.

I hope you find a way to get the treatment you need.

Nutty

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suppose you all already know this but just in case

The problem of being able to pay for all the tests, and meds for anyone with a major illness is almost overwhelming. I suppose you all know that some drug companies will give allowances for some of their drugs. My daughter has been getting help for almost a year, but it will end at the end of the year so Mom and Dad may have to help out. She has had such a horrible year, and not having the meds she needs is just not an option. She has a 17 yr old and 12 year old and they are sometimes so much help and encouragement for her but they are kids and they sometime think more about how it affects them. What a hertiage to give my children, Lupus although neither have really been fully diagnosed.

Sure hope you can find a way to get the tests you need. Have you searched the different agency that do help with medical expenses? Don't be afraid to ask... We are pulling for you.....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a big thankyou to you all for all your concerns. Nutty, im from orange county ny. if you dont have health insurance youre on your own i have never heard of anyone that helps to pay for blood work.. i do get help to pay for my meds.
which is only plaquenil.

ppfrjasmo, im really sorry to hear that your daughter is having a tough time right now, i really do hope that things will get better for her soon. i would like to search some agencys but i dont know where to start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts