TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be honest, I have never been great at getting bills paid on time, but in the past I've never been late enough to effect my credit, let alone get anything shut off - although sometimes I come close to loosing car insurance.

Well, several months ago I lost my car insurance and didn't get it back for months, Then, although I thought they told me I didn't have to get the car inspected they actually told me I did and I didn't catch the difference for THREE weeks. And my Cobra (Health Insurance from work when you aren't working) has been stopped because my payment was post marked Dec 9th when the grace period stopped on Dec 1st. And I just realized it yesterday.

Last month my cable got cut off because I forgot to pay it. And my cell phone is cut off but as far as I can tell, I have a positive balance on that account. And without Health Insurance I'm in BIG, BIG trouble. Its not a matter of finding free funding for one or two perscriptions, I have 14 each month and only 3 of them can be bought at WalMart for $4.

Everything just seems to be falling apart. Now I'm starting to wonder if I've missed something on Long Term Disability Insurance and I only THINK I haven't heard from them. I feel totally devastated and frightened.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Jirel,

No insurance is definitely a real problem. I don't know if it will do any good but you should call the company and let them know you are having memory problems, maybe they will reinstate you since you did send in a payment. Have you applied for Social Security Disability yet? Some states are starting plans for those persons unable to get insurance, is Florida one of those? Depending on your age AARP claims they can get policies for those with pre-existing conditions.

Organization is the only way I keep things straight. When bills come in I enter in the due date into my computer calendar. I have an alarm set for 10 days prior to the due date to pop up a message on my screen. It will pop up everyday until I trash it.

I hope the New Year is better for you.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I love Lazylegs idea of putting it into a calendar with those annoying reminder messages every day. ;) The way I do it is give it all to my hubby!
But when I was doing bills, I just took care of it as soon as it came in. I also have a little incoming/outgoing mail center so I can clearly see when something needs to go out b/c I almost forgot to take something to a mailbox one time.

The other really good option these days is to do the online payments and automatic withdrawals - then you will need to be good about checking your accounts and making sure they are done and you record them as money gone out...

That is an awful lot to forget to do... do you believe it is the lupus causing memory issues... or do you think depression is setting in leading you to not do things you used to do? That is a concern I have for you after what you just wrote.

As for insurance, you can also check into Medicaid if your financial position is not good at the moment. A lot of people are going on it these days from losing jobs and not having enough income to pay for any private insurance (but also a low enough income to qualify for Medicaid which you may or may not qualify for depending on the size of your Short Term Disability Check).

I hope you call tomorrow to ask about LTD, to get that question off your mind. Then make the other phone calls for the things most important to you to see if you can get back what you want back.

(((hugs))) Take care...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jirel,

Please call your COBRA people and let them know that you have lupus and have been very, very ill for the past couple of months. Ask the girl if she knows of any adult social service programs to assist you with your paperwork so that this won't happen again (I doubt if she will but she will realize how serious this is for you).

Ask if they will make an exception for this month and assure them that it won't happen again. Something like this happened with my cobra a couple of years ago and they did make an exception for me one time only. I can't remember exactly what it was. Sometimes when you talk to someone directly they will make an exception. Be sure to go all the way up the ladder, if necessary.

It is worth a try. Otherwise, I think the suggestion to look into medicaid is good. Also, look into the university hospitals where you can be seen on a sliding scale in case you need something before you get this cleared up.

I know how stressful this is for you. When I first went on disability all of my bills were a mess. It took probably a year for me to get everything sorted out.

If you have caller ID, don't even answer the phone if you know it is a bill collector. They pressure you (because you are nice) and make you feel worthless. (*edited to add - Some you do have to deal with like the utility people. When I was going thru this I found that most of them were very nice about working with me. I had one credit card bill that I couldn't pay and they were horrible to me. I did eventually pay it off. I guess I mean to say only deal with the ones right now that are imperitive)

Slow down. Take a deep breath. You will get this all straightened out.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy Jirel,
Good advice from the others so just a bit of empathy here.
Trying to do stressful "little" things when you feel like *&^% is more than daunting; it is sometimes impossible.
I hope and pray things will look up for you in 2009.
Douglas+

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all, one of the frustrating things is that since the cell phone has been turned off (despite the fact I'll swear the last bill shows a credit) I don't have a phone. So I can't make any of those calls. I will work on that as I can but obviously its rather hard to reach people right now.

I DO think a lot of this is depression, but I'm not so sure about the memory. I'm going to try and get a friend to come in once a week and make sure I do things. I can't qualify for medicaid yet. Although I have no income right now, my savings is still more than $2,000. Short term ran out a long time ago, I'm waiting for long term to make up their mind, and Ijust put in my um ... apeal, that's the word. My apeal for my first rejection of SSD. The one where they dated the letter the 16th of December, said I had 10 days to get it back and then waited to mail it until the 19th so I had (-3 days of the post office working) and had to pay $19.00 to express mail back it back on time. The letter got there on the 26th but they didn't pick it up until Monday the 29th.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If I pay by mail, I always forget to get the bills paid. I now have an on-line bill pay account with my bank. The day a bill comes in I go on line, set the date the on-line payment will be made. This prevents me from forgetting and I have no late fee's. and nothing is canceled. If you have a working record, I would apply for SSDI (SS Disability Insurance.) To catch you up on SSDI and to see if you qualify for other government benefits
http://www.disabilityinfo.gov/digov-public/public/DisplayPage.do?parentFolderId=167

Also contact an disability organization such as the Arc to help you process the claim.
http://www.thearc.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=183

Check where your local chapter is and request help. Most Arc chapters have someone who is knowledgable about the system. You do not have to be mentally retarded to engage their services despite the name.
Joanne

Joanne

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Jirel, I am in the UK so don't know your systems at all well. I just wanted you to know that I understand. When our children were small we were very, very short of cash. It was a constant worry. Pay your Priority bills to keep a roof over your head etc. then make sure you have money for food and medicines, non priority bills will have to take what you can give them if anything.
I am sure the problems are all down to your illness and the worry you have had.
How about a Hug?
x Lola

1 - 8 of 8 Posts