The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have my next Rheum appointment on the 23rd.. I was told to bring in my test results and my Antiseizure medications with me as my doctor would like to take a look at everything. My Neurologist says I am having seizures so I take Keppra.. I aslo take 10 prednisone and plaquenil and beta blockers.. I asked the Rheumie nurse a few questions and basically she said that he may want to start me on some type of immunosuppressant.. do they normally do this when Lupus affects you with seizures??? and if so what type do they normally prescribe to you?? Sorry for the questions.. just trying to prep myself for that app in advance.. I like to "know" what I am talking about when ever I see any doctor LOL

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there :)

It would be quite typical for a good rheumy to be considering immunosuppressants if your disease activity is not sufficiently controlled. Immunosuppressants are also preferable to long-term prednisolone use and often they mean that pred can be greatly reduced and often stopped.

Immunosuppressants can help with any symptoms that are caused by lupus activity. The immunosuppressant chosen will depend on the type of symptoms and also on how well you tolerate/adjust to them.

There have been several threads on them if you do a search in the search box under "imuran" or azathioprine" (same thing) or methotrexate or cellcept...

Hope that helps a bit,
Katharine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts