The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for your thoughts :blush:

When on Immuran or other meds that are alike, and you have an infection and put on antibiotic, do you ever decrease your Immuran? No one has said too and logic says to me that if you are taking something to supress your immune system and you have an infection and put on antibiotics to kill the infection, aren't you fighting an uphill battle by supressing your immune? I just can't say this any other way and don't even know if you understand my questin.

Second question is my gp said that your white cell count may not be high even if you have infection due to the immune supress meds, have you been told that or is that just his opinion?

Just curious about this all as I have not had to take an antibiotic until now.

Thanks if you even understand what I have tried to say. I confused myself sorry.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hmmm..good question....

I am on CellCept, I have not had any colds of infections of note since I started.

Don't know the answer, but am now curious.

I have heard other people report that they had to stop the immunosuppressant when they had a bad cold or flu...no others that I recall.

Stephanie

·
Registered
705 Posts
Paula, I'm on Arava and the information that comes with it (and my rheumy) say to stop it if I begin to get sick. Thankfully, I haven't had to cross that bridge yet.

Maybe a call to your pharmisist or doctor would be in order??

Good luck, Pollyanna :love2:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've had two urinary tract infections and taken antibiotics and not decreased the meds, just not get my allergy shots. But of course it may be different for others...Karly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts