The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor wants me to stop Immuran, take the weekly dose of Metho and if I need prednisone inbetween to do that. He says I might very well end up in a lot of pain and problems coming off Immuran until the Metho starts to work. Don't know if I will have major side effects from Metho.

I am thinking I really do not want to do this right now as it is summer time. I just see myself ending up worse than I am. I am not well but I can be worse and not sure I want to take that chance right now.

Has anyone ever switched from Immuran to Metho and if so, did you end up having bad problems from getting Immuran while waiting for Metho to start back up?

Also I was wondering what the difference is between the two, is it that Metho is a more hazardous to your health med with more side effects so Immuran is the safer one to prescribe?

I still haven't told him I didn't start this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Paula:

I'm sorry I can't help you with this...I went from Metho to Imuran...cause the metho was making me very ill.

I found the Imuran worse for side effects for me...LOL and went to Arava.

The Arava was good (I lost almost all mt hair tho), but not strong enough, so they changed me to cellcept. I have been on this for almost two years, with very little side effects.

They all have such scary side effects, I don't always know which is worse.

Did your Dr give you a reason for the change? If it is medically necessary, you may just have to bite the bullett and start now rather than risk anything worse. If not, perhaps you can ask to wait until after the summer, so you can keep things on an even keel through it?

Best of luck - Stephanie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
Hi Paula,

I haven't been on Metho so can't comment on it from a personal perspective. I've stayed with Imuran as it's been pretty good in controlling my particular disease manifestations.

I have heard that Metho is probably one they would use before trying Imuran, so maybe considered slightly less 'toxic' if you want to call it that. It's so individual though, some people can't tolerate Metho and do fine with Imuran and the reverse is also true.

I agree that the switchover might be difficult for you and you will probably need extra pain meds or pred to get you through it. It will take a little while to see how it pans out and to maximise your Metho dose I would imagine. Why the switchover anyway? If there's no urgency then perhaps it is better to wait a while, not do this in the height of summer.

Generally speaking Metho seems to be superior for joint problems whereas Imuran is better for organ stuff. That's a generalisation though, everyone is different.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

love
Lily
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
Hi Paula

I have just made the switch from immuran to metho :) I stopped the immuran about 11 days ago and had my first metho injection a few days ago...I was given a 125mg steriod injection so I havent noticed any difference from not taking immuran as the steroid has helped. however I have been flared up for months now.

I started the metho at 7.5mg but I have to increase it quite quickly to the highest dose so it will work faster. the reason for my switch is the immuran is not working for me at all. unfortunately I have had side effects already from the metho but hopefully they will ease off and also everyone is different you may not have any at all.

as lily and stephanie suggested could you wait until a more convenient time to change paula? or is it important you do now?

good luck with your decision paula
take care xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Hi Paula,

Several months ago I was switched from MTX injections to Imuran (at my request) because I thought the Imuran would be kinder to my skin (it wasn't). The rheumy told me to stop the MTX and start with 50 mg. of Imuran, and I was to gradually build up to 150 mg. (I'm now at 200). One day after missing my MTX dose all my symptoms came flooding back. This doesn't always happen but in my case the MTX was just barely keeping things under control and since the Imuran had not kicked in yet, I was in big trouble. The doctor said to go back on the MTX along with the Imuran until the Imuran kicked in, which took about three months. I was really nervous about taking two toxic meds along with the Plaquenil but he said it would be OK and it was. I had no problems other than the stomach issues I currently have if I don't eat my yogurt every day. Going back on the MTX helped after a couple of weeks but missing that first week really set me back and I never felt as good as I did before until about four months into the Imuran.

Please note that this doesn't happen to everyone. There's supposed to be a grace period when the first drug is still in your system while you switch to the new drug, but that didn't happen for me. You may be one of the lucky ones. I know you're switching from Imuran to MTX, but I believe the same principle applies either way.

As to which drug is more toxic, it really depends on who you talk to. I believe it's six of one, half a dozen of the other, that is, they're similar in ways they can cause trouble, but if it helps keep the disease under control, that's the bottom line. The disease is more toxic than any of the drugs, IMO.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top