TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Rheumy heard that I came home from the hospital with oxygen, he was very upset. He felt like maybe he should have done more in the beginning. Anyway, I did see my Rheumy today, and he decided to add another medication. I am now going to start Imuran and I wanted to a little feedback about what to expect and all.

Nancy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Nancy,

I've been on imuran for about 8 months now and I'm very happy with it.

I had been warned that I could have some issues with nausea to begin with but was well advised to start with a small dose and work up slowly rather than take the whole 150mg (in my case) straight away. I have to say I was lucky not to have any nausea at all and was able to go 50mg for two days, then 100mg for two, then 150mg - obviously that might be a bit fast for some people.

I noticed a difference about 4 weeks later and then an even bigger one 6-8 weeks later. It made a huge difference and has also really helped issues like brain fog, not to mention getting my bloods back to nearly normal.

Unfortunately for me, when the rheumy tried dropping my prednisolone I had breathing issues (more likely related to myositis than lupus) and have had to go back up to 12.5mg pred.

I don't know what she plans now for the long term. Everyone (lung doc, GP...) seems to be saying that the pred will be a long term thing as the thing that helps myositis the most (along with physio) is pred. I guess we'll see.

I'm glad your rheumy has decided to up your meds. It sounds like it was clearly time to do so.

As to how you personally will react and respond to it, well, again we'll have to wait and see. As you know it's all so individual.

all the best of luck with it,
Katharine

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Nancy all i will say is good luck, its ok for me, just start low dose and work up, i was sick at first but that was over 3 yrs ago, there are times i still go up on the steriods, for things, but on the hole its a good drug,

i say anything that gives life back hey? i my self are on 15mg onre day and 12 and 1/2 the other day, but thats for me neuro stuff, you will be fine i hope

All the best hun Lin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts