The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been prescribed Imuran 50mg 3 times a day. I'm worried about the side effects - is it wise to start on maybe one a day and work up?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Sheira,

Yes, it is best to work up to that dose slowly as that can help prevent any nausea side effects.

I was also prescribed 50mg 3x a day but someone kindly mentioned starting slowly.

I have had no problems at all with imuran and it has been very helpful.

Katharine

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Sheira,

Building your imuran dose up from 50 mgs to 150 over a few days is best yes, as it helps your body get used to the med and helps you avoid any tummy upset. Given your reaction to plaquenil it might also be an idea to not take imuran on an empty stomach until for the first few days.

If you do experience any tummy upset do not panic and stop the imuran suddenly, but rather call your doc and let her know you're having a problem; there's meds you can take (such as omeprazole) with imuran for a few days that will in all likehood calm your stomach upset. Nonetheless, side-effects from imuran are extremely rare and so really it's more than likely that you'll have absolutely no problems with it!

Hope imuran helps you loads! :)

Zoi

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Sheira

I started Imuran on 25mgs every other day for a week, then 25 mgs every day for a week increasing by 25mgs in this way until I got to the full dose. I was told to take it after supper.
I hope it helps you

Good Luck and Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was just switched from MTX injections to Imuran. I wanted off the MTX because the side effects were becoming a major problem. My RD said to take two a day for two weeks and if there's no problem, go up to three a day.

Can anyone tell me if Imuran is less toxic than MTX?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
don't know how one would compare one med to another in terms of toxicity.

As my doctor said of imuran: "it isn't sugar water".

But I've found it great too - it works very well and I've minimal side effects.

The big advantage for young women is that imuran doesn't cause abortions (methotrexate does) and it is safe to use in pregnancy.

All the best with it!

X C X

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks Cath. I'd like to think it is less toxic because it doesn't require folic acid. Too simplistic maybe? I'll keep reading but so far I haven't gotten a definitive answer from the web.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Jesse

The toxicity is relevant to the benefits as part of the risk/benefit calculation.
Surely that's what matters to the individual. The rest is statistics.

Both these drugs increase photosensitivity by the way so extra care is needed for avoidance and protection. The folic acid is needed because methotrexate depletes it, I think.

I hope the Imuran helps you.

Clare
:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sheira, please let us know how you decided to take your Imuran and how it's worked out for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, I just switched from methotrexate to Imuran this week also. My rheum wants me to start out at 1/2 a pill (I think that is 25 mg) and increase 1/2 pill every 2 weeks. She thinks this is rather fast then she would usually prescribe but wants to get me on a high dose quick. I'm suprised you are supposed to take that much to start out with.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sheira, I saw my PCP yesterday and he said it would be OK to start with one a day and gradually work up from there, even though the RD's prescription says start with 2 a day for two weeks, then go to three. Your prescription is even tougher to start. I'd ask your doctor is it's OK for you to start more slowly, since Imuran is known to give stomach problems. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts