The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,
I have an up coming hearing with Illinois Dept. Of Public Aid for a state medical card. This will help me get the medicine and treatment for my lupus. I am at the 3rd stage of the appeal hearing. I will be seeing an appeal hearing person face to face finally. I have faxed everything medical records, medicines (both on and should be on), I have written letter from general rhuemy, and chiro doctors. All have stated that they support my getting a medical card. The gp has advised me to stop working but feels she is not the one to make that call but included that on her letter to the idpa. I am not sure that I can give them anything else. Any advise would be helpful as I am very nervous about the outcome of this up coming hearing.
Thanks in advance for any advise,
Tammy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Tammy, I don't think I have any advice to offer, but just wanted to wish you well at the hearing. It sounds like your doctors are all behind you, so that should mean a lot. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Is it possible to meet with a lawyer to get their advice? Many places will have a free legal aid service - you may want to look into if that is a possibility for you. It sounds to me like you have all your bases covered; you may want to write up the possible harsh consequences if you do NOT take the medicine you cannot afford without the help of this program. Get them to see that the costs to the people of IL may be higher if you are not on this program perhaps?

·
Administrator
10,181 Posts
Hi Tammy,

I suggest taking a list of how Lupus affects you so you can refer to it. When I am asked point blank I only think of my immediate symptoms not everything I have suffered. The person ruling on your appeal needs to have a complete picture of your symptoms and how you struggle to get through the day.

It might help to Google some of the Social Security Disability sites and blogs. They helped me immensely before I filed for disability.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tammy, It Looks Like Evrerybody Covered Everything And So Have You. I Do Think The List Of How Lupus Affects You Without Meds Is Very Important. Keep Your Chin Up Hon And Good Luck! You Can Do This . Just Leave The Nervousness At Home Lol. Gbu Laurie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Onetay,

It sounds like you have enough evidence for a disability case. I agree, though, that it would be a good idea to talk to your Legal Aid Society or some other free legal aid group.

Do you qualify financially for assistance? I think that there is a limit to what you can be bringing in monthly in order to qualify but I might be wrong.

I hope that your hearing goes well. Try not to be nervous, you are well prepared. Like someone else said, write everything down. It is easy to forget the really hard times when you are put on the spot and the adrenaline is going.

Let us know how it goes.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the advise. I not only have listed what effects me but printed it out and highlighted what i do have as a problems. I have also talked to attorny's but no one wants to take on the state. They all say I have a case but would talk to me if I file disability. I do meet the guidelines for the assistance for the program would not waist their time if I did not meet them. Emu is right but am still way below what i can make and be on the program. I will list everything and just try to relax. I have 3 letters by the doctors that say they don't want me working withpout meds and medical care for the lupus and even after I get it want me to wait 6 months so it can work. I have not listen to them as i am the only support and have bills so am worried that will go against me.

Again thanks for all the advise and support and prayers that will be said for me.
Tammy

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update to need advise

Hi Everyone,
Well, it went about like I thought it would. I waited for 2 hours to talk to someone on the phone again. I talked with a lady before the hearing (by phone again) and she tried to get me to start over yet again. I refused and told her that I really wanted to continue with the hearing. She said that would be fine but that the denial will stand so I am wasting my time :mad::(.
I spoke with someone that knew nothing about my case or the conditions I had for the hearing. He stated there was missing information from my case and that he will give his final ruling by 1-20-09. He asked me if I had anything to add and I reviewed my conditions and how they effect me at work and home. I also told him that the reason there was so many refiles is I was advised by people like this lady that it was in my best interest to do so and have learned that I was ill advised in this area.

I told him of my pre-trail conversation with the lady representing the state. He asked if this was what had happened? She started back stepping and giving some explianations of why she had told me these things. She said that my conditions might be uncomfortable to me they are not disabling to me and that I am getting close but am not there yet. He said that it was out of their hands and to advise me of anything would not be in her best interest and that it is not up to the state any longer if I qualify. She has until the 1-15-09 to have my file complete or he will have no choice but to rule in my favor. He also wants the follow up from my labs and to speak with my rhuemy about my condition and if I do get on my medicine now will any of this reverse. She opened her mouth yet again and said lupus is a curable condition. He stopped her right there and said that all the paper work I have submitted states very differently. This is what happened today, and my fingers are still crossed in hopes that I have someone that is willing to learn about the condition and not have their head stuck in the sand.
Thank you so much for all of your support with my case of the nerves.
Tammy

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Tammy :)

She opened her mouth yet again and said lupus is a curable condition
:mad: Grrrrrrrrrrr! At best it's a controllable condition WITH MEDICATION! :mad: So much ignorance out there that we have to fight against!

I hope it goes well for you and you get what you deserve :luck:

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Tammy,

I hope the 20th brings you good news. God knows you deserve it so much.

As for the woman who thinks Lupus is curable.......ignorance is bliss isn't it!:mad::mad::mad:

Good things come to those who wait and you will get what you have waited so long to receive......I feel it in my heart.

Let us know when you hear the decision.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Tammy,
I wish you all success in winning this hurdle.

When I had my court hearing for my disability, the "medical expert" there, must have been in his 80's if he was a day, and vowed that lupus can't cross the blood/brain barrier. I had just been dx with cns by a neurologist, and was able to confront him. What sealed my favor was the judge's daughter had just graduated from med school. He asked my attorney and I for permission to have her look at my med info. We both agreed. Within days after that, I got a letter approving my disability, AND took my benefits all the way back to my original date of disability, NOT the filing date.

It can work for you, just stick with it and in the dark days, know it can happen.
Sally

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Good Luck Tammy !
:)

Clare

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All,
Have not heard anything as of yet, but wanted to drop in and say Thank You for your support yet again. I hope that none of you have to fight so hard for something or come up against so much stupidness in one spot. I am keeping my chin up for the time being.
Tammy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts