TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to describe Pericarditis to someone what would you say?

Based on your experience and how it effected you personally.

Thanks for taking the time with another question from curious Karol.:lol:

·
Duncan
254 Posts
Well, I'm not sure I had exactly that, but my lupus diagnosis started when I got arrythmia (atrial fibrillations), where your heart beats out of rythm and the two chambers don't beat one after the other, or something like that!

I was fixed the first time with medecine. The second time (2 weeks later) I had an ultrasound and they found pericardial fluid (fluid filling the sack around the heart) and thought it was caused by whatever was causing my joint pains (they hadn't diagnosed lupus by then). I had no pain from the heart whatsoever during the whole period. Fixed again with medicine.

It happened a third time 2 weeks later when they had to shock my heart back to normality. I was then started on steroids (prednisolone) which they reckon took the fluid away. I was also started on flecainide, which keeps the heart beating in rythm and have had no problems since (a year now).

No-one wants to say it was definitely the lupus that caused it, but some docs have suggested it. So whilst I could feel nothing, the fluid casued the heart to beat strangely. It came on suddenly and I could feel it immediately. Just take your pulse to confirm it as your beats are all over the place.

Best to get checked out if you suspect something. Better to see than end up like I did!

Good luck.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Karol,

When I flare, I generally get inflammation around my lung and heart (pericarditis). I'll do my best to describe how it is for me. The doctors always had difficulty with this description, but to me I said it feels like a raw wound. Most movements, like bending over or if really bad using my arms, makes it feel like someone is rubbing the raw wound. Also, anything that expands the lung, such as coughing, yawning, sneezing, hiccups, can cause much more severe pain.

I know that's not the best desciption, but I never know how else to describe it.

Hope this helps.

Annette

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for your reply and putting in to your own words.

I really appreciate the time you took to post.

·
Administrator
7,564 Posts
Karol, hope that you are ok and that if you are having any unusual symptoms that you get them checked out. I haven't had pericarditis, but my brother has, he had a really fast heart rate and terrible pain esp in his arms. He was told that the pain can be worse than a heart attack, he also felt very unwell and couldn't really work out why. Like a feeling of unease which I suppose could have been the heart rate.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Deb and Lesley.

Thanks for the replies and thank you Lesley for the link.

I will go check it out now.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, after seeing this thread and reading about pericarditis, I think it sounds a lot like what I had recently. It was terrible pain, but not in my chest—in my back on the left side around the shoulder blade area, sometimes in the neck, and in and under the left arm (especially when lying down). It was unbearable, like something was going to explode. I finally saw my rheum. who did blood work and a chest x-ray, but I haven't heard the results. I go back early May and will find out.

Thankfully, about a week or two after my appointment, it started easing up and finally disappeared. Overall, it lasted between 2-3 months. Does this sound like pericarditis? Can it last that long and then clear up on its own? (I did take a short taper of predisone, which seemed to help temporarily, but it got worse again after the pred. before it got better).

Whatever it was, I hope it never comes back!!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi doodlebee,

From what I am reading it does sound like you may have had this.

I am glad your rid of it now.:wink2:

·
Old Timer
1,599 Posts
What I would say to describe Pericarditis ..... Very Painful! :cry:

An extreme burning that hurts the worst when taking a deep breath. Feels just like a heart attack. A big difference between a heart attack and Pericarditis (Besides a heart attack leaves muscle damage) is that morphine doesn't relieve the pain away with Pericarditis, but it does for a heart attack. Strange but true in my experience with both.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'm with Tom it feels like I imagine a heart attack would - it's the kind of pain that makes you call emergency services. Leaning forward helped my chest pain a little and lying down made it unbearable.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmm, well if I have Pericarditis it must be a mild case of it. My pain is not extreme, it is more then dull, constant but by no means extreme.

I am wearing a event monitor right now. I have this ****** contraption attached to me for 10 days...(it comes off Friday thank god) and it records the heart 24 hours a day consistently.

Thursday the 16th they are doing a Echocardiogram, Ultra Sound of the heart to get a better look inside. Hopefully this and the monitor will provide answers.

I really appreciate your replies and input here. I just LOVE you all as the support we get here is amazing.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Administrator
7,564 Posts
Hi Karol, hope that your echo went well today, and that they figure out what is wrong so they can treat it. My echo showed damage, so it does pick things up. I know how scary it is. Thinking of you.

Deb

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Deb. My Echo was 100% Normal so I am happy yet have no answers.:mad:

My monitor, the one I have worn for a week now is showing sinus tachycardia so I will go google that.

Thanks for checking in with me deb.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts