TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have/has anyone had an increase in their overall anger and/or irritability in their everyday life? Is that a symptom of this? I noticed this and have continued to notice this since right before I was diagnosed 6 years ago.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I noticed that when I was on a higher dose of prednisone. It's a fairly common side effect. If you have CNS lupus affecting your brain, then that by itself can cause depression which could have this as it's main expression. Living with chronic pain can also make one a little more irritable/angry than normal, whether or not it causes a secondary depression.

If it's something that is really bothering you, or is affecting the quality of your life and your interaction with people you care about negatively, then you may want to seek out therapy with a psychologist. Preferably someone that works with people with chronic diseases, and does cognitive behavioral therapy. They can also assess if medications may be good for you too.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
My irritability and anger were linked to my disease activity and lack of treatment. I think that it was actually a result of pure exhaustion especially as I couldn't sleep at that time either.

Once I started to get my disease activity under better control and, especially, stopped trying to do a job I couldn't do any more things improved a lot and I'm now a lot calmer than I used to be.

I believe that a lot of people suffer from irritability when on prednisolone. I don't know if you are taking high doses of that or not.

Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
There are many situations that I feel I handled wrongly in the past when my Lupus and APS were undiagnosed and untreated. It can be a very uncomfortable feeling. I believe I once ruined a perfectly good relationship in this way. Luckily as this is a long way in the past I have come to terms with it.
Don't know if this is similar to your present worries.
x Lola

1 - 4 of 4 Posts