The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if I am the only one this happens to...I've begun to notice that when I am around a crowd with alot of noise or alot of stimulis that my fatigue and brain fog gets way worse. It is to the point that just going grocery shopping wipes me out. I get in and out as quick as I can but I often feel very confused and badly fatigued for a little while afterward. Seems like alot of bright lights effect me too. I do have white matter lesions but this seems to getting worse. Maybe I have been a hermit for to long and my brain is just overwhelmed! Anyone else? Should I talk to my doctor? I haven't yet because I'm afraid he will think I am a nut case.:hehe:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Mary,

I think that all such things should always be mentioned to your doctor. Having said that, I believe that that type of reaction is pretty common. I know that when I'm feeling tired and my brain fog is generally at its worst it certainly doesn't help if I have to "use" my brain and concentration. Using it can be just trying to concentrate on which kid has just run past in a flash or trying to hold together a conversation with three or four people like I would at work. After trying to have such a conversation I will get very tired and it can bring on an almost instantaneous headache. Bright lights also affect me a lot but that's more to do with having very frequent migraine type headaches.

It is sometimes difficult to get what's going on over to doctors as brain fog and concentration problems are a very vague notion to them but it is still definitely worth mentioning.

At one stage I was terribly worried that the brain fog would never get better. It was stopping me function in any way and certainly making work impossible. It has taken the best part of a year now, but suddenly, these last three weeks I have found I'm able to concentrate and do far more than I was mentally. I still have the odd moments or day when things go foggy again but it's much better. With me it is linked to disease activity and it seems that we are finally getting a grip on my lupus and so the brain fog has improved too.

Anyway, don't be afraid to appear a nutcase, brain fog (and the confusion feeling) is very common for lupus sufferers and you're doc should be well aware of that.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think there is a percentage of lupus patients that are adversely affected by lights in the stores (especially when those lights are flourescent type which they almost always are). Usually those patients also have issues with the sun where it will wipe them out and/or bring about rash, that flu like feeling, etc. The sun certainly does that to me, I have not personally noticed it in the stores for brief periods of time at least. Since being on Plaquenil, the sun does not bother me as much as it used to at least.

It's sad when we are afraid to tell our doctors our symptoms... but I understand your fear there too. Probably best to tell him about this symptom increasing in severity though.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Being in these situations definitely wipes me out. I generally need to sleep after going anywhere. My brain fog is bad. You are definitely not alone on this.
x Lola

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Mary,

I would mention it to the Rheumy, he won't think you are a nutcase :wink2:

There's probably two factors coming into play here, one may be just the lights and the fatigue/brain fog issues. But as you mention the brain lesions maybe some of it is to do with that? Since I've had them I find it very hard to hone in on one conversation if there is a lot going on around me. I can't distinguish one line of thought and it all just muddles up together making no sense at all. Apparently people with MS have a lot of trouble with this too, so it was no surprise when my doc offered that up as an explanation.

sending hugs,

love
Lily

·
Jen
407 Posts
I have a lot of CNS as well as florescent light issues and get exactly what you described. Going out into the world can be very challenging on the sense some days and others it is OK.

Just know you are not alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mary, I'm another sufferer and yes you should go to your Doc.
One thing I found that helps me a little are sunglasses. Not a total cure obviously but it may just eliminate some of the flickering.
They also help protect from the uv rays emitted from bulbs.
By the way they don't have to be really darkly tinted to work.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't do well in a lot of noise either. I used to never notice it, but over the past several years, it's getting more difficult -- and I have a very loud extended family!

We were at my son's Cub Scout pinewood derby this weekend and there were about 20 1st-4th grade boys in the derby, not to mention brothers and sisters there. As you can imagine, it was quite loud and a lot of movement. I couldn't WAIT to go home! We didn't stay to watch the adult competition. I just couldn't take it anymore. And with the back pain I've been having for a couple weeks? No way!

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi Mary, I wouldn't say that the lights in the stores bother me necessarily, the all the people talking, all so close to me, and the crowd, it seems like everyone is rushing to someplace, and I don't know what that place is.
And yes, I am very tired when I get home, but also, by the time I get to the cashier to pay, my hands are shaking so noticeably, that I am very embarassed, and it doesn't stop till after I am home and can relax. I don't think that I have ever told my Rheumy specifically, guess I'm afraid to. But in truth, Mary, yes, you should tell your dr. and No, you are not a nutcase. You are in good company. Keep posting.:wink2:

·
Administrator
10,190 Posts
Hi Mary,

I used to love to shop, not any more. It is all too confusing for my brain and I end up like a walking Zombie. Fast sequences on tv will do the same thing to me.

The lights could be a theory too. When I told my neuro what way happening she says the same thing happens to her and she is healthy.

Take care,
Lazylegs

Take care,

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
with me i dont know about lights, but you can guarantee i always go dizzy in large shops, feel like im drunk.

As for cognitve its been bad, but being around lots of ppl they loose me
i think there ate lots of us in same baot,,, i cant think these last weekend its been bad, doing silly things again too. :sad: :hehe:

but you must tell your dr xxxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts