The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quicky

I had maybe a paper cut on my finger, obviously slow healing cause of Immuran, but it was really itchy, so guess I have been scratching not thinking twice about it, now it is bump and all red and itchy, and a line of red sort of up my finger and down into my hand. I have marked with a marker where the red ends so I can keep a watch on it and have put antibiotic ointment on it.

Any other suggestions for those who had some infection on cuts on their fingers?

Thanks a bunch !

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Paula

I dont like the sound of that 'line' :worried: Glad you are keeping an eye on it.

I had an infected finger last week at the edge of the nail and it was extremely painful. So much so that I had to get up out of bed one night because the pain kept waking me up.

Anyway, long story short, I made a bread poultice and put it on it and wrapped it up in a bandage. By the next morning most of the 'gunk' had come out into the poultice and the pain was gone out of it. Over the next couple of days it healed up completely.

This is what I did. Pour boiling water into a bowl and put in some white bread. WHen the water temperature was bearable I kept dipping my finger in and out of it for a while. After a while I took a lump of the hot, soggy bread and pressed it around the infection site. Then I wrapped it in a clean bandage. I repeated this the next morning.

I hope this helps but please keep a watchful eye on that line. I didnt have a red line and think I might have taken a trip to the docs if I had seen one and got started on an anti biotic.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is really interesting. I never ever heard of doing that. Now why does that work? The yeast in it?

I called my doc as the line grew an inch. They wanted me to go to ER. I said that is $150 for me to walk through the door and more risk due to all illnesses there. He said put Neosporan on it and if you want meet me at the hospital early morning in the lobby, have him paged, and he'll look at it in the lobby. I am so pleased ! ! No ER. That is so awesome that he is doing that for me.

So if it gets worse during the night like with a fever or up the arm, I will go to ER. But if not, then I'll go meet him.

I am so used to things "not working" out and this is nice to have something go my way as ridiculous as it sounds to be happy about something like that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The red line could lead to sepsis (blood poisoning) or other serious problems which I'm sure your doc told you. I would go to the ER if I were you. I understand wanting to save money but sepsis can result in death. Waiting for the line to go up your arm is waiting way too long! I have watched someone die from sepsis and it's not the way to go.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Paula,

I agree with Joan and Barb.

Sepsis does develop quickly. I am glad your in close communication with your dr. I understand, your concern about the cost of an E.R. visit. It is a good sign that your not running a fever.

Sandy

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Paula,

This is something that you shouldn't take lightly. My Dad has ended up in hospital twice with sepsis, once through an insect bite and the second time was caused by a small thorn in his finger from gardening.

Anytime he gets a small cut he has to get antibiotics right away and be closely monitored. I understand it's worse if it is your left arm as that is closer to the heart but don't quote me.

I know you are worried about the cost of the ER but if the line progresses before you get to see your doctor in the morning then ultimatley your health is more important.

Keep us posted.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts