The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody! I went to my gp today and was happy to learn that my 24hr. urine screen and bloodwork came out fine.However,I had a discussion with him about my lack of sleep and some worrisome mood swings that I have been having. He perscribed me depakote er 500 mg to take at bedtime to see if it helped both these problems.Soooo, My question is... Does anyone have any expierances with this drug? I myself do not. Thanks ahead of time for your responses!:thumbs: Peace and Love,Patti

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
I took Depakote ER for a while for seizures, but I was on a higher dose than that. I want to say I was on 1500 or 2000 mg/day, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, my experience with Depakote ER was not that positive. It made me horribly nauseous and ridiculously tired. It helped some with seizure control, but probably only helped with about 2/3 of my episodes (whereas the medication I switched to helps almost 100% of the time...almost!). I eventually switched medications after giving the Depakote a good shot -- about 2 months after starting.

My doc said it is a good drug -- well proven to work for seizures, migraines, and mood disorders. This is often why they try it first. But it cannot always be tolerated very well and just depends on the person. I hope you see some positive results from it!

-kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been on Depakote ER for 8 months or so. I take it for migraines. While I can say it certainly has decreased the number of attacks that I have, it certainly has no affect on my sleep. I haven't found anything that allows me to sleep thru the night. Instead I find myself waking every hour or so.

Nichole

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Patti,

I was on Depakote for a few years. It really helped with mood swings. It made me sleepy when I first started taking it, but after the adjustment period was over, it got better.

I did however, gain a lot of weight taking it. My dr. never told me that the drug
would make me crave carbs...So, now that you know, you can be careful. I craved sugar a lot. Hope this helps you..

Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Jen
407 Posts
Hi, I've been on Depakote 500 ER for two months for seizure type migraines - It has helped some with the migraines and I'd say it has helped a bit with my sleep too but I've never been a good sleeper. I don't really have any issues with my mood but I'd also say I seem to take things in stride a bit more.

I went up to 1000 and started gaining weight immediately! 2 lbs a week and I've never gained weight from anything. I was also extremely lethargic and really started not feeling like myself so we went back down to 500. This dose is only a little helpful with my migraine situation but they are trying a combination of different things to get that under control.

The weight I gained is starting to come off but I have to be much more careful about what I eat and how much.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have been on epilim for 30 years, which i think is the same drug (sodium valproate). I love it, it is the best anti seizure med I have ever taken. I have had epilepsy since infancy, so I have tried lots of different anti seizure meds.

I am currently on 100mg but have been on as much as 2500mg per day and have never had any side effects from it. That's why I love it so much.

best of luck with it

raglet

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Ohhhhhh I didnt realise it was Epilim Raglet :hehe: I'm taking 1200mg right now for neuro pain and some partial seizure activity and I love the stuff. I take 500mg am, 200mg lunch, 500mg at night.

You just have to have liver function tests with it and I have those anyway because of one of my other meds.

Hope you do well on it :)

love
Lily

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hey all
Just to be clear Depakote is not Epilim

Epilim is Sodium Valproate and a common anticonvulsant.

Depakote is Valproic acid or Semi-sodium Valproate and a mood stabiliser.

Very similar but their doses and uses are different.

·
Jen
407 Posts
Actually, my understanding is while Epilim and Depakote are a bit different in make up they are both used to treat epilepsy and mood disorders and Depakote is also indicated for migraine. They both have various uses.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Epilim can also be used as a mood stabilizer, migraine preventer etc - many drugs have multiple uses. The doses used to treat mood disorders is very much lower (around 500mg, much the same as depakote).

Depakote can also be used to treat seizures.

• Depakote ER is indicated for the treatment of acute manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar disorder, with or without psychotic features.
  • Depakote is indicated for the treatment of manic episodes associated with bipolar disorder.
  • Depakote and Depakote ER are indicated for the treatment of complex partial seizures, and simple and complex absence seizures in adults and children 10 years of age and older with epilepsy.
  • Depakote and Depakote ER are indicated for the prevention of migraine headaches in adults.
http://www.depakoteer.com/depakoteer/

Sounds like they are first cousins - a slightly different from of the same compound.

raglet

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I think that sodium valproate (epilim) may be called depokene in the states.

raglet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts