The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hey -

My rhuemy gave me an inhaler to use a few months ago. I was coughing a lot at night and wheezing a bit. I used it for about a week and haven't needed to use it since. I don't have asthma by the way.

HTH

Nellie

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi,
Yes i do to, the Dr i was seeing before my last one, ordered xrays, lung breath test. Everything was fine, he would not listen when i told him i had enviro Allergies and it was caused by that, i do smoke, so i can see where he was going with that, he thought i had COPD or Emphasema (sorry wrong spelling).
Sand.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, yes I do use an inhaler, it does help. Have you been diagnosed with asthma, an inhaler is to widen the airways.

Deb

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have one. My old GP never said I had asthma, but then I got a letter from them out of the blue inviting me to the asthma clinic! So I don't know whether I do or not. I don't need it that often, but occasionally I have difficulty breathing and get a bit wheezy. I had some allergy tests done and I had a mild allergy to house dust might. I have all sorts of random reactions to stuff, but the same environmental triggers rarely result in the same reaction for me. Like several weeks ago when I had blood tests and I broke out in hives - the nurse thought I had a sticking plaster allergy, I don't, I've never had it in my life and haven't had it since. :rotfl:

When I was first referred to hospital last September I had a chest infection and had to use the inhaler every day for a couple of weeks til the chest infection cleared.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I have asthma and lots of allergies. I use a steroid inhaler as a preventative and it keeps me stable. It's very rare I have to use a bronchodilator, which is more a symptom relief rather than preventative. That's a better way to treat it if it's an ongoing problem.
I also have Sjogren's and that gives me a few lung problems, but the steroid inhaler has helped that also.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've been using inhalers for ages. The trick with it is to time your breathing as you release the "puff". At first, I would do several breaths so I could release as I inhaled. That way it gets to the deepest reaches of your lungs. The newer inhalers, which had to do away with the propellant they were using before, don't dispense as much medication as the "old" ones. I find at times I need to use more than the 2 puffs to get the needed benefit. Too much of the albuterol can give the shakes tho. But if it is the choice of breathing or shakes, I choose breathing with shakes.

If you aren't getting the needed relief with an inhaler, you may need to go on to using a nebulizer. That gives the medication in a mist which you can more easily get into your lungs. It takes time to do the nebulizer, but it gives you more control of treatments.

One of the most important tools we can use is to learn to use a peak flow meter. It helps to use this before you do an inhaler or nebulizer. Then, take a reading afterwards. That way, you can help your doctor to treat you the best way. It helps to use a type of calendar to register your pfm and then take this with you when you go see your pulmonologist.

Take care and give your body a little time to absorb the medication from the inhaler or nebulizer. That way, you are letting your body deal with one thing at a time.
Sally

·
Registered
15,684 Posts

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi i use 2 inhalers one of mine is a two in one it is called Seretide Evohaler.The other one is salbutamol i also use the peak flow.I have a spacer but i dont use it i think it gets into you lungs quicker if you use the inhaler.I have the Astma Clinic tomorow and she will go nuts as i have started smoking again after being of them for 11yrs had a blip last year got back of them.So i know i will get of them again Elisabeth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.