The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had it to a certain extent but it was always more a not-being-tired-until-late-at-night thing, or maybe I was just a night owl. Lately though I have been restless and walking around and up and down all night (till 2 or 3 in the morning) and then I wake up on my own, with no alarm or anything, at 6 a.m. Usually I can get back to sleep around 7 or 8 and sleep till 10. This aligns with my flare, but that also aligns with my taking prednisone again which I know can cause restlessness...So does plaquenil, apparently. Mostly it's the waking up at 6 that's the problem :p Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

Um I have it from pain. I don't even realise that I'm in more pain half the time as it creeps up on you. It is only when the pain goes that suddenly I realise that it was well and truly there and it does affect my sleep which in turn affects everything else. I then also end up wandering around at night, waking far too early and even when I am asleep, I'm not really, as if my body just won't let go and relax enough to let me sleep deeply.

I haven't had any effect from plaquenil or prednisolone. In fact pred makes me sleep by removing the pain. Any time it is increased I get lovely long nights of sleep and have generally slept for the last year (I started taking pred a year ago) - but that's maybe just me!

I'd say there's a good chance that your flare is doing it to you anyway, never mind the medication. Have you had any further help on that by the way? Been back to see the doc again? I hope it is not ruining the holidays too much.

Katharine

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi
Well I was like that the first time i ever took pred, awake for almost a week it seemed, I got loads done and the house had never been cleaned like that before!

Are you tired when you wake, do you feel you have missed sleep? Fatigue and flaring can make it hard to sleep. i have a friend with ME and she, too, has trouble sleeping when the fatigue is bad.

I wake early at the moment too, but the doc thinks it is two things, pain (like Katharine said) and depression. The pain wakes me and the depression keeps me awake.

It is hard to tease out the reason for some of the more psychological symptoms like insomnia. I think untilyou discuss it with your rheumy (or your new rheumy if you find a better one ;)) you just have to go with the flow and think "here i am awake again, how can I make the most of this". I read in the mornings now - I take my pain meds when I wake, read for around an hour and then get up and do something like go on the computer, do some sewing or art work. I can't just lie there it drives me nuts or nuttier depending on who you ask.

Oh and are you dozing during the day, this can disrupt night time sleep.

Lots to think about
Hope you are having a good day and have recovered from that horse ride.

Love
Sara

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha nuts or nuttier, yeah it drives me nuttier too. I always need my iPod to sleep but i make it turn off after 30 minutes, lately I'm always awake when it turns up, so I get up and do dishes. I've done so many dishes the past two weeks I should be getting paid. Sometimes I think it's a pain thing but at the moment my flare is much more stiffness and soreness than keep-me-awake type pain. Prednisone has always made me insanely restless, I used to jump on my bed when I was little and I would get the IV prednisone now and then, I'd bounce around until like 1 in the morning :p But I'm taking it in the morning so theoretically it should leave me alone at night. Oh well. Thanks both of you!

(I have recovered from the horse ride. And I haven't been able to see a doc yet but I'm going to be home soon and am getting 2 more rituxan treatments before I start college, hopefully I can be somewhat healthy before I leave home...)

·
Inky
249 Posts
Yes, I use an ipod to sleep too, i have taken to listen to very calming buddhist podcasts (free on itunes, one of the guys has such a peaceful american accent) instead of music though. Sometimes the voices intrude on my dreams which is a bit weird. We had a burglary and I was distraught when I lost the ipod. Luckily replaced on insurance. Yes my flare is mostly stiffness and soreness but I get foot pain too. Hope those Rituxan treatments pick u up for college. Sorry your trip to Ireland has been so blighted, but bet your family like those clean pots and pans.
Sara x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts