TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question to see if anyone gets this.Every so often ,like tonight,my heart becomes a bit irregular.Every thirty or so beats my heart skips one or two and I feel winded.I went to A&E a few years ago with this but of course they didn't catch it on an ECG because it only happened every 70 or so beats.Now it happens when I drive the car or at any time.Just curious if anyone else has it and if they had it investigated.I'm too embarrassed to go back to my doc with yet another problem!:blush:
Julsie

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi julsie i have had that to but same as you have not said to doctor as i dont want to have to go through more tests i use my inhaler when i feel like that so you go first to doc:lol: :lol: and i will go after you elizabeth

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Julsie,
I get this often also. I don't know what it's from either and I haven't mentioned it to my doctor. For me it feels like butterflies are fluttering around at the top of my chest. Not sure if that is the feeling you get. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Angie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think that sometimes you just have to be lucky and have your doctor happen to hear it during a physical exam to be taken "seriously" on this one. Otherwise, they are quick to attribute it to anxiety which is probably the most common cause.

I had talked about an irregular heartbeat, and then a year later my rheumy was listening to my heart and actually heard the skipped beats herself and only then did it get written down in my record. Still, nothing extra was done about it. Just finally noted that it had been heard. Apparently they are usually very benign, and often simply related to mild MVP=mitral valve prolapse.

I'll probably ask for the echocardiogram to be done at my next appointment; I get them every 3-5 years to monitor my valve leaks and heart function as my ejection fraction is a bit low for someone my age. If I don't ask though... no one suggests it! Doctors!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a friend who had something similar and she used to keep getting fobbed off by doctors as nothing showed on ECG when she was there. Then she had a much longer episode of heart racing. At that point I took her to the doctors as an emergency and an ECG finally showed atrial fibrillation. She is now being treated for that and doesn't have that noticeable beat skipping thing any more. I guess if nothing has shown up on ECG with you yet, then just keep an eye on it, and if it happens more frequently, or for longer, get to emergency straight away and see if they can get an ECG at the time it is happening. The other alternative, if it really does bother you, is to put you on a 24 hour monitor to see what shows up.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Julsie,

My Mum had an extensive test done whilst on the treadmill as ahe was told the basic ECG is not completely accurate and does not always pick up small problems that may still require treatment!

Worrying about whether or not you have a problem is not good and in my eyes grounds for the NHS doing further more accurate tests to put your mind at rest once and for all.

Love Lesley

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi,

Yes I have this too. I was lucky enough to be taken seriosly and saw a cardiologist about it. Even luckier, ir happened while I was having an ultrasound of my heart.

For me they are ectopic beats - ie the heart beats twice or more quickly and then has a pause. It feels awful, especially when it happens a lot for a long time, but it is innocent. It won't hurt me or my heart:blush: .

Your symproms do sounds the same, but for safetly's sake , check with your doctor. It is always better to know that you are OK than worry you are not.

X C X

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi.

I had that problem also last summer. After paying close attention to what I was eating and drinking, I figured out that mine was due to caffeine. I was taking green tea for weight loss at that time and drinking sodas with caffeine. About a week or so after I stopped drinking the sodas with caffeine, my heartbeat got back to normal. Now, the only time it acts up is when I have a couple of sodas with caffeine.

Hope that helps.

Donna

·
Registered
41 Posts
Irregular heartbeat

I have the same thing, but I also have major anxiety, because it is happening when you are driving, it could be anxiety. Does it happen when you feel stressed? When I drive or have a stressful event i get them. Mine are called pvc's. Premature ventricular contractions. Also do you have thryroid disease? Whenever my thyroid level is up, I always get them. That is a tell tale sign that my thyroid is out of whack. If you do have a thryroid problem, then have it rechecked, If not then have them check your tsh level it could be that. Stress brings them on for me, or thyroid out of whack. Take care, and I hope you figure it out.
Connie

·
Sarah A
306 Posts
Hi Julsie,

I've had palpatations for nearly a year now - every day and finally mentioned it at a appointment at St Thomas's Hospital. I ended up having 2 ECGs a heart scan and a 24hour monitor attached to me. After all this nothing showed up - thankfully! :rotfl:

Keep on mentioning it until someone listens - it's always best to check these things out.

Sarahxxx

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is quite a strange thing.It wasn't too bad when it was infrequent but it's getting more regular and starting to bug me.
connie,I feel like I should have a thyroid problem because my mother is hypothyroid,as is her sister, and because of the fatigue,but my thyroid test is always normal.
I can't find anything that seems to link to this.i'm often relaxed sat in front of the tele when it happens.The other night I rang the on call doc and he just said some people get it,so I guess I'll get round to asking the doc for a 24hr heart monitor when he is in a good mood:hehe:
thanks for the replies
Julsie

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi again Julsie!

I was looking up info on Iron deficiency earlier and noted a web site mentioned that if your boby is low in Iron symptoms include tiredness and heart palpitations, leading to further more serious complications!

Have you had and B12, Ferritin, Serum Iron and Iron tests recently, perhaps you could ask for these as well as the scan. B12 deficiency etc is also a cause of some Brian Fogs!

Love Lesley

·
Jen
407 Posts
I had this too, quite often, then 1 1/2 years ago I was put on verapamil (calcium channel blocker) for migraines and it smoothed my heartbeats out right away. I may get the occasional flutter but nothing like I use to.

My cardio did says that the flutters where normal and usually nothing to worry about but it is nice not to have them any more. The verapamil also helps with raynauds so that was another plus.

You should definately bring it up at a visit.

·
Sarah A
306 Posts
Hi Julsie,

Forgot to say was when i was being checked out for my palpitations the one thing that the cardiologist said that if they are more common when you are exercising then you need to be concerned. If they are more noticable whilst relaxing (which mine are) then there is less cause for concern.

Good luck anyway, hope u get some answers.

Sarahx :) :) :) :) :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts