The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:Here in Indiana we have a very blustery winter along with numerous germy people sneezing and coughing all around me.:sick::temp::sneeze:I am so scared of getting sick,:scaredy::afraid::kleenex:The last thing I want with a reduced immmune system is someone to give me a big does of yuck, whether it is respiratory, or otherwise. I wondered what everyone else did to avoid the germy people around them? I was thinking about a mask, but wondered if it would be too much or if I was too paranoid?
Karly

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Karly

The best thing to do to try and avoid peoples sneezes, coughs etc :sneeze::sick::temp: is stay away from over crowded places and if someone you know as a cold or flu then stay away from them. Over the years i have just asked family and friends if they could stay away if they have any colds etc.

Also the other thing to think about is getting the flu jab :jab:, but you need to speak with your doc first as some people with lupus find that it can cause them to get the flu.

Hope you manage to stay cold and flu free this winter.

Take care :bunny: Jo :bunny:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Karly,

I'm afraid for those of us that have four kids that go to school, spend time with sick friends, sick teachers...sick parents (we're divorced), a husband that works outside the home and winters that are often in the -20°C I couldn't possibly spend time worrying about getting sick. I'd be a nervous wreck.

Usually the flu jab is recommended for lupus patients (even if both my rheumy and GP aren't too keen on it at all) so I would talk to your doc about that. I think the pneumocoque vaccine is also recommended too (not sure here - maybe someone else can clarify?). I can't have that as the last time I did I reacted very severely.

All that doesn't mean that I intentonally put myself in risky situations and if I hear that someone I'm due to see if very sick from flu or infection, I will stay away. I'm lucky not to spend time travelling on crowded public transport.

Katharine

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Hi Karly,

I seem to get fewer colds than the general population. It is impossible not to be exposed to germs though. In an effort to lessen your exposure wash your hands frequently and keep your hands away from your eyes and nose. Do not share drinks. Try not to shake people's hands and avoid touching stairway rails. Use a kleenex over door handles when you are out, especially leaving public bathrooms. I carry wipes to use before eating when I am out. Definitely get a flu shot if you have not had problems with it in the past.

To a healthy winter,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Along with all the practical advice already mentioned, I do my best to avoid seeing the GP or have my daughter see her pediatrician during the winter/flu months for our "healthy" or routine checkups. Thus, DD gets her ped checkup every summer at her half birthday instead of near her birthday. I just can't bring myself to bring a healthy child and mother into a germ laden ped waiting room during the peak of flu season!

Other than that, I just avoid crowded indoor places, practice good handwashing hygeine, and will avoid people in my life who are in their first 5 days of illness/feverish/coughing. Stressing out about germs too much could lower your immunity all by itself and make things overall worse for you in a variety of ways.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Karly
About wearing a mask, that's up to you. If it makes you feel less fearful and that balances out being conspicuous and getting funny looks, then go ahead.

I was worried for ages about using an umbrella as protection from the sun. But actually the feeling of not caring less what other people thought was quite fun, sort of up yours, and it turned out to be very very helpful indeed.

Some people get a couple of flu' shots early and late because one might not be enough and the pneumoccal one is advised.

Wishing you luck and better health :)

Clare

·
Registered
360 Posts
You've already gotten good advice so I'll just add that you may not be as suseptible as you think. When I first started on the immunosuppressants, I was very worried about becoming ill or getting infections easily. My RD said the drugs are supposed to make your immune system closer to normal, not suppress it too much. Of course, it can happen, which is why there are warnings on the drugs. But, I'm happy to say, after 16 months on Plaquenil and MTX, I still don't get sick. I even took a round trip flight to Barcelona, Spain and then a cruise, two notorious ways of catching germs. However, the cruise ship was always equipped with antibiotic lotion that we were asked to use everytime we came in from visiting a port and before going to the buffet. Which goes back to the advice you already got. Wash your hands often and just avoid obviously sick people. Try not to worry too much. You'll most likely do just fine.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Maia;520500 said:
I just avoid crowded indoor places, practice good handwashing hygeine, and will avoid people in my life who are in their first 5 days of illness/feverish/coughing. Stressing out about germs too much could lower your immunity all by itself and make things overall worse for you in a variety of ways.
I could not have said this better myself.:wink2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts