TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i suffer with backache most days and I'm now wondering if it could be linked to lupus. Some days are really bad - usually when i am working, and other days it can be moderate to mild but its not often i have a day without any at all and its starting to get me down!
Does anyone have any ideas on what i can do to relieve it, i use heat pads but they don't do that much for it.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
i wouldnt say so, backache anyone can get, i cant find anywhere where it says sle and abckache, ive looked through my books

your posture could be wrong when bending sitting anything backs are a hard one you know.......... ive suffered back pain on and off for yrs i would say the way i musat sit lie stand........ sorry not much help xx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you're back is giving you so much trouble. It is never pleasant.

Generally speaking backache is not a typical lupus symptom. There are of course always exceptions depending on what type of backache and its cause.

Back problems are pretty common in the general population for a number of reasons including slipped disks, bad posture, strain...

I suffered with an "almost" slipped disk years ago but found great relief from a good physio and then when I started doing aikido and became more supple the problem disappeared. Hope it doesn't come back now that I can no longer hurl myself and young men on the floor!!

Have you spoken to your doc about this? It sounds like some physio or even a visit to a good chiropractor would be worthwhile.

Katharine

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi, I suffer from backache - totally unrelated to lupus, caused by a couple of fused vertebrae at the bottom of my spine. The pain can be really bad - or at least it was until I started taking arthrotec (actually given for my lupus). You do have to becareful with arthrotec as it is a NSAID but has a built-in stomach protector. It's based on slow-release over 12 hours.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Bev,
I do not think there is anything about backaches being related to lupus, but I do know what you are talking about as I suffer the same thing. It does happen to people without lupus but since no one has really looked into lupus patients and back pain at this point I would have to say no. In time they find that people with lupus suffer more with back pain that the general public does how knows. I hope you feel better soon. I know when I told my rhuemy about it he wanted me to start seeing my chiro again. So I would try seeing what your rhuemy thinks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi, I have SLE and constant backaches. My Rhumy says my backaches are caused from Chronic Arthritis in neck and spine. When I try to work in house or yard, I can work for maybe 15 minutes, then have to lay on heating pad. It is very frustrating, as I used to be a very active person. Hope you soon find relief. Take care, Rosie

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I battle back pain on a daily basis. My rheumy said it is often along with lupus, but not necessarily a cause of lupus. In my case, I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my lumbar area. We wonder if it is a side effect from my 15 years of teaching skiing. As I worked primarily with "fraidy cat" students, mostly adults, I put a lot of strain on my spine.

To control the pain I take two zanaflex, generic: tizanidine HCL 2 mg, twice a day. Without them, I have a lot of pain in my lower back. With them, I have a lot more range of motion and flexibility in my back. I also help my body by getting a massage twice a month.

So, while not directly caused by sle, it is not unusual for us to have some pain and/or damage to the spine. Perhaps the high response to pain sensations is magnified by sle. Only a theory of mine.

Good luck
Sally

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for your replies!
i think i will mention it to the rheumatologist when i see him in may. i cant think of anything that it could be. Ive not hurt my back (although i have pulled it form time to time) i try and sit and stand straight and always bend and lift from the knees. I work with young children which i dont think helps having to bend and lift all day but its just annoying when the weekend comes and i am still suffering with it even if ive been relaxing all weekend!. there are odd days when i don't have any backache at all but the slightest thing could set it off for example - if im stood up for a period of time or i have to sit on a chair that im not use to seems to set me off. just wish i was like other 25 year olds who can do what ever they like and it dont seem to affect them, even the girls i work with who do more hours them me never seem to be affected by backache, its so annoying!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I have been dealing with low back pain on both sides, sorta would make you think it is related to kidney pain but I doubt that. For me I think stress hits my back muscles.

I hope your doctor can help you. Good luck moving ahead with this and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi there

I've had back pain since I was 10, and the problems do seem to coincide with lupus flares etc. We know that there's fusing and inflammation and all sorts going on in there but not why. I have developed a mild scoliosis (bend) over the years. No one is ever very helpful on why or whether it's linked to lupus, but it seems to me that the pain coincides. I have found taking celebrex (celecoxib) daily hugely helpful, and also doing pilates twice weekly has made a real difference to my life: it helps build up core strength to support your poor back. It also makes me feel like I am doing something proactive (and if done gently it's not too tiring as that'd be counterproductive) instead of just throwing drugs at the pain!

I hope you feel better soon!

xHatty

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sometimes the back pain is in conjunction with hip pain. The hips can be affected by Lupus. Other than that the spine is not involved in lupus except for the neck and back of the head. I was reading this in The Lupus Book.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paulin46 - i do have hip problem, my hips ache a lot of the time and sometimes it can be very painful! My hips are the main joint to be affected by my lupus. i also have a bad pain in the right side of my hip if i try to lay flat on my back, ive been to the docs over it but there werent sure what this pain is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I get low back pain on both sides but it comes from the rear of the pelvis, from the sacroiliac joints. I've read that these can be badly affected by Lupus. Any movement of a leg, or standing for a few minutes can result in horrible pain. Also sitting for any length of time. When I was having Physio the lady was able to find the exact areas of inflammation!! She stopped the treatment and told me to go home and rest!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts